Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Review of Add-On Circuit to Existing Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsfantasi

I'm updating an old project of mine (link to Game Show circuit). I want to add some wireless keychain remotes to trigger the lockout. And I want to have a better output than a single LED. I decided to use large (1"H) 7-segment displays, hardwiring each of the four to display a number from 1 to 4. This would be an add-on to the existing circuit, which switches one of four lines to ground. I want each line to switch on one 7-segment display.

I was hoping that I could get a second pair of eyes, to review my calculations. I haven't picked out the final display yet, but used the following values to make some initial calculations, obtained from the datasheet of a candidate display.
Iseg 0.020 A
Vcc 9 VDC
Vf 1.8 VDC

Here is a schematic of the design for the displays.
Lockout II_7-seg_2.png

Based on the above assumptions, I determined that I needed a 390 resistor for each segment.

The numbers 1 - 4 have varying number of segments lit. from 2 segments for a '1', '4' requires 4 segments and '2' and '3' require 5 segments lit. From this, I calculated the total current for each digit. Which led me to determine the value of the base resistors (at 1/10th the total current).

Below is a screenshot of the Excel spreadsheet I used.
Calcs.png

Formulas.PNG

Can anyone comment on my approach and confirm my calculations and design?

Last edited:
The schematic image is ok here, but the calculations diddn't make it.

I see the schematic and calculations ok.

What transistors did you use? Need to know the DC gain.

Interesting. In Foxfire, nothing. In Chrome, calculations but still no schematic. Some sort of settings issue, maybe.

Interesting. In Foxfire, nothing. In Chrome, calculations but still no schematic. Some sort of settings issue, maybe.
Try one more time. I rewrote the post.

I see the schematic and calculations ok.

What transistors did you use? Need to know the DC gain.

The transistor used is no longer available. A similar one, BC546, can be found here at DigiKey. I am driving it into saturation with 1/10th the LEDs current, which can be seen in the calculations.

You could use a cd4511 BCD to 7-segment driver. Then use a 4-bit dip switch to set your locked values. That way, you can have one board design for all numbers and add on to 9 terminals.

Can see it all, now. Thanks.

Everything (using the BC546-50) looks fine to me.

Sim'ed gives equivalent numbers.

<EDIT> Looked at your "Jeopardy" lock-out article - very nicely done. I assume this is updating it so as to display a number, rather than just a lit LED for the successful contestant bashing on the "Signaling Device" (Push Button in Alex talk... :woot:).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back