Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reverse phase control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phasor

I am looking for a circuit for reverse phase control (also known in the lighting world as 'trailing edge dimmers').

There seems to be very little technical information around - I can't find anything in the libraries, and the Net isn't very helpful either.

I believe that the switching components used in commercial dimmers are IGBTs (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors). If anyone knows anything about these, can you tell me how they work?

Any reverse phase circuits or info is much appreciated!

star882 said:
Try https://www.epanorama.net/documents/lights/lightdimmer.html .
Most dimmers use a triac to control the power.
You may be better off buying a dimmer than building one.
The site mentioned has a dimmer that can be controlled by low voltage.

Thanks star882, but I've already seen that page, and doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know. I am quite aware that most dimmers are triac based - these are leading edge dimmers, and are not what I am after!

BTW, I am not looking to buy a dimmer - what I want to do is purely experimental.

But why do you want to control it using trailing edge? What difference is it going to make in the controlled output voltage?

Kinjal

The typical reason given for using the trailing edge, is longer bulb life (in lighting applications), as you are never switching it on at the peak of the AC wave. Also reduced transformer hum (in ELV lights) and reduced EMI (electromagnetic interference).

Hi,
download this datasheet from ATMEL. One IC has it all!

**broken link removed**

Or Visit this page for ATMELs all power control ICs list.
**broken link removed**

Kinjal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back