Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Restoring vintage PSU: Identifying components

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenh

Hello all,

Thanks for the help in my previous thread on capacitors for the motherboard. This time I need help with an IC in the power supply.

This is what it looks like:
DSC06197.JPG

Apologies, it's upside-down. The text on the IC reads:
114055-002/8072
(C) COMPAQ 1988
RAY H 9006

The power supply is actually a MINIMAN 1454-001. It seems that Compaq had them built custom for this specific computer. It's a Compaq Deskpro 386s/20n.

Anyway, I initially wanted to just determine the pinout and swap in an old AT power supply... but trying to follow the pins was only OK for 12 of the 14 on the connector. Two go into the depths of the motherboard and have me wandering lost.

If anyone has any connections to find any data on this IC then I'd be greatly appreciative!

Last edited:
unfortunately, being a custom IC, the chances of finding info for it are somewhere between zero and not at all
And companies are usually very unwilling to share such info, which adds to the frustration

Dave

Raytheon was big selling full custom analog ICs.
A company I worked for in the early 90s used one of them.

The datecode on your mystery IC matches that time frame, so most likely this is also a full custom IC.
As the previous poster indicated, in this instance it will be difficult for you to find information or a replacement for that mater.

psu's are $25 or less for that now

They are? I must be googling the wrong things.
I've just worked out that the PSU is shared with the 286N, but I can't find any for sale.

Either retrofit a new PSU or go to a vintage PC shop or scrapyard

Indeed. Hence why I was hoping to find the pinout of that IC, as it feeds into the connector to the motherboard.

Indeed. Hence why I was hoping to find the pinout of that IC, as it feeds into the connector to the motherboard.

by your comment, I'm not sure if you picked up on what Tony was suggesting ?

you wont retrofit a suitable IC, that wasn't what Tony was saying
He was commenting just to buy a new PSU and fit it to the wiring of the old PC :)
or pick up an old PSU from somewhere .... you local puter shop etc

Dave

Apologies, the following picture may well help.

The power supply connects to a riser card via a proprietary 14-pin plug. There is no standard AT power cable here.
I would've loved to just slap one in.

Therefore, to work out the pinout of that plug, I have been tracing it in both directions. In one direction it disappears into the motherboard. The other joins up to this IC.
I want to see this old power supply gone; I've already bought a new one. Unfortunately, it's not a simple splice-in.

I would imagine +/-12V and +5V with Power OK logic level back in 1988 was good enough but there were no "standards" +12 and +5V and gnd should be easy to trace from HDD

-12V for Serial port and maybe -5V for memory

pour s'amuser fyi only for old collectors
If you know italian or like the picture they have all the magazines from /mc001 to /mc???
**broken link removed**
this one is around 1988 but no pinouts**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Just had a look at the restoration link you provided. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back