Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistors... A 5th band???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Ok, now... there are 4 bands, Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, and Band 4. My formula is: Ohms = Band 1 + Band 2 * Band 3
And band 4 is tolerance. But I've seen resistors with a 5th band. What is this? I even scaned a resistor like this. The 5th band is on the left. It's attached:

Attachments

• lastscan5.jpg
    lastscan5.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 559
There are resistors in wide usage having five and even six color bands. In the five-banded version, the first four bands indicate value, while the fifth band is for tolerance. The sixth band, when used, indicates temperature coefficient.

Here are two free, quick, and easy tools for converting color bands to values. The second program listed also provides info on the sixth band, as well as allowing the user to enter the value to see the associated color scheme(s):

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Thanks for posting the links to those two programs. I was actually looking for a good quick program to convert the bands to values. Those programs fit the bill perfectly :)

Have to be careful when reading resistors with a fifth color band, some military type surplus resistors use this to indicate a failure rating.

ChrisP said:
There are resistors in wide usage having five and even six color bands. In the five-banded version, the first four bands indicate value, while the fifth band is for tolerance. The sixth band, when used, indicates temperature coefficient.

Here are two free, quick, and easy tools for converting color bands to values. The second program listed also provides info on the sixth band, as well as allowing the user to enter the value to see the associated color scheme(s):

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Hey, thanks! Those programs really come in handy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back