Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistance of car sub-woofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
For hundreds of "8 ohm impedance" speakers I have measured 7 ohms DC.
For many "4 ohm impedance" speakers I have measured 3.2 ohms DC.
But this "4 ohm impedance" speaker measures almost a dead short DC.

The voice coil of a speaker is a coil of wire that has a fairly high resistance. The impedance should be a little higher than the resistance. Or you could say that the resistance should measure a little less than the impedance. But not this low. I think something is wrong with this speaker.

I always saw the DC resistance to be just a shade under rated impedance as you have also posted.

I think it's likely this speaker's voice coil is hosed.

Last edited:
Hi Electrician,
Your tiny speaker has a resonant frequency (500Hz) about 15 times higher than most speakers (33Hz).

Hi Electrician,
Your tiny speaker has a resonant frequency (500Hz) about 15 times higher than most speakers (33Hz).

It's not that tiny; it's a 4" midrange from a junked out Japanese 3-way system.

It's an exaggeration to suggest that "most speakers" have a resonance at 33 Hz; "most woofers" maybe, but not "most speakers".

I've attached the impedance vs. frequency characteristic of the 12" woofer and the 1.5" tweeter from that same system.

The general shape of the impedance curve is the same for all three drivers.

The impedance is not much more than the DC resistance for several octaves above resonance (the woofer has 5.9Ω DC resistance) for all of them.

Attachments

• Woof_vs_Freq.png
    Woof_vs_Freq.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Tweeter_vs_Freq.png
    Tweeter_vs_Freq.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 185
yes neoprene rubber foam....meant to be more resilliant in larger high excursion or smaller violent subs.... also used in photocopier transfer rollers with a bit of carbon mixed in....... Ive worked with many subs, Nigel is right.
a cheap meter on ohms reads just bellow 4 ohms on a 4 ohm rated sub

anything else bellow around 2.5 and shes likely fried or like others have said a higher power handling 2ohm sub that had the wrong sticker slapped on it.

Sadly it sounds fried,

if it has a vent arround the magnet whats it smell like? Ozone / electrical smell ,burned paper , cooked glue or old socks?? may be an indication of friedness....
also check its travel, if the voicecoil rubbs or grates when you carefully push the cone down then shes possibly got bubbled coil glue and is deffinitely not going to sing.
all in all Id need to know its model number,it will be simillar to ts-wx80 or something like that..... Then i can tell you what its meant to read.

if you still need to know that is, after almost a year :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back