Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resisitor at the Base terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavi98

Hello all,

It is recommended to use a 1/4 W 10K resisitor for the base terminal of a transistor (for driving an LED) and can I use 1W or higher wattage 10K resisitor with a instead of the 1/4 W resisitor? Will there be any difference?

Thank you

The cost and the size.

Do you have a schematic or link?

Mike.
Hello Mike,

The following simple diagram of a automatic LED On/off circuit.

IMG_20211016_112100.jpg

Thank You.

The mA into the base of that transistor is 0.7/10000 = 0.07mA. A typical BC547 has a gain of ~500 so the collector (and LED) current will be ~35mA. It needs a current limiting resistor (~600Ω) and the 10k changing to a lower value (say 2k). That circuit also wastes (0.7/5)% of the power generated = 14%. Also, if you are charging a Lipo battery (which it looks like) then that is very dangerous. Google Lipo charging danger for more info. The solar panel has to generate 3.7+0.7 = 4.4V before any charging takes place and the LED lights.

Mike.

The mA into the base of that transistor is 0.7/10000 = 0.07mA. A typical BC547 has a gain of ~500 so the collector (and LED) current will be ~35mA. It needs a current limiting resistor (~600Ω) and the 10k changing to a lower value (say 2k). That circuit also wastes (0.7/5)% of the power generated = 14%. Also, if you are charging a Lipo battery (which it looks like) then that is very dangerous. Google Lipo charging danger for more info. The solar panel has to generate 3.7+0.7 = 4.4V before any charging takes place and the LED lights.

Mike.
Thank You Mike. It helped me a lot. I could find a 4V solar panel and I used a 3.7V rechargeble battery. Circuit works as intended. Whenever I put a flash light onto the Solar Panel, LED goes off and When I cover the solar panel, LED turns On. But the problem that I found is the LED glows faintly (5mm Clear, White). What can be the reason behind this?

Thank you.

A few questions.
Is it a Lithium rechargeable battery such as a 18650?
How big is the solar panel? How many watts/Amps?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back