Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Requiring country of OP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you rather spend quality time, which could otherwise be spent doing you own projects, answering numerous posts within a thread and eventually be informed that "I can't find that in my market.", or "that is too expensive for me...please suggest something else." because of a lack of information?

I, personally, do not see anything wrong with, and rather like the idea, of requiring at least the member's current country. I can't think of any times when one's location as produced unfriendly responses. For example (and apologies if this is offensive to anyone--that is not my intention), I know we have a few members here from Afghanistan, which I think is probably the most likely country for any American (or some other countries) to disrespect during these times. However, I personally have never seen this happen. We are all one big happy family here, we are respectful to one another regardless of age, experience level, country of origin, etc. I think that requiring a current country would be very beneficial, and outweighs any possible negative outcomes of the requirement.

Again, no offense is intended toward any members from Afghanistan. In my eyes, you are all just part of the family :)
Regards,
Der Strom

Obviously I have no problem with giving my location, it has been there since day one. Hell, I would list my address if you people would send me greeting cards or visit me bringing good beer. :)

Seriously, when I see post and members want parts or services who do not list a location I generally ignore them. That or suggest they provide a location for help.

Additionally, for what it is worth, depending on this forums structure the admins and mods have access to the IP address members post from. Not to say that provides a mailing address but can generally provide a pretty close geographic location. When I post from work I will look to be in Virginia, USA, when at home, Cleveland, Ohio USA.

Overall it really matters not to me. To require a location would be fine, then too, how would anyone know if the location was correct? The fact that it is optional is also fine with me.

Just My Take
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back