Required Privare Messages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I get one every week or so, and usually don't know what to do with them. I don't want to be rude and just ignore them, but most of the time these messages would be more appropriately posted in the forum (isn't that the point of this website?). Wish there was some sort of PM filter or way to restrict to people invited. Turning off PMs isn't a good idea, as discussed many times since the 'unfortunate' insudent... Anyway, figured I'd put my bit first, it was a very long message.

I also received that message.

This is how I normally respond to these kind of messages, it's one of my canned responses:

Please ask on the open forum, so you can have the benefit of others who might be more knowledgeable than me. Also others might benefit from the advice I might offer you.

I also got the same PM. I told him the project is a child's toy and he should make something more useful.

So, instead of posting a thread, we get a mass-mailing. I wouldn't mind changing my ranking to 'new member', just to avoid being targeted. I don't have a broad knowledge of everything electronic, just remember what I've seen or worked with.

I'm just rude; I don't usually reply. I like Hero's response, though, and will perhaps use that next time. I agree, this forum is for helping others, and it bugs me when someone wants the info sent to a private mailbox, which won't ever reach, or help anyone else. I'm sure there are people who just come and read, and learn, and hardly ever ask questions.

I don't have a broad knowledge of everything electronic, just remember what I've seen or worked with.

I'm the same way.

I suppose it must work somehow, look at email spam - people wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work?

So too, as unfortunate as it sounds, 'double posts' probably do have better chance of getting replies. Not from the everyday readers of the forum, but from the majority of who visit this forum - complete strangers. Take a look on the home page how many members there are too guests.

When I checked 26 members and 299 guests

Ease of communication is vital, but it allows all types to abuse its functionality

There are 10 times as many guests as there are members right now.
Too many school kids visit here.

This forum also suffers from 'flushing'

By that I mean, a post can be flushed from a guests view within 24hours, and find itself a few pages down the list of 'new posts'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…