Requesting assistance with digital clocks - Not Homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmech

Hello all, I could use a little help. Before I start addressing my problem, I'll let everyone know that I have googled the topic to death (as well as explored these forums fairly thoroughly) and have yet to find exactly what I'm looking for.

What I am looking for is this, a simple digital clock that has the following properties:
  • Seconds display [very much preferred]
  • Compact size [something PIC powered, preferably]
  • Battery-powered
  • Multiplexed output for a small, seven-seg, eight digit Futaba/Noritake calculator VFD

I've been fiddling around with some VFDs lately and I got an idea for a pocket watch-ish clock that would be pretty neat, I just cannot find anything small enough to do what I want, nor can I find anything that multiplexes a seconds display. I've found bits and pieces of numerous projects that, when amalgamated, would be perfect, but I lack the proper electronic know-how to engineer then into what I need. I'm not asking for a hand-out here (though I won't turn one down ) but a point in the right direction would be great.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, Warmech!

your specs are little odd I fear.

you may know that VFD requires an DC-DC converter to get high voltage.

State of art is LCD. there are clocks with seconds display across the road for a peanut.

There are also clocks with VFD as used in cars with green display or orange display. they may not show seconds unless you manipulate.

now a days you get low power seven segment LED displays.and I hope they could be acceptable.

Hope it is time to settle for modern displays like Large graphics LCDs and start designing and writing software around them. Better is to use a RTC chip like one from Dallas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…