Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Requesting assistance with digital clocks - Not Homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmech

Hello all, I could use a little help. Before I start addressing my problem, I'll let everyone know that I have googled the topic to death (as well as explored these forums fairly thoroughly) and have yet to find exactly what I'm looking for.

What I am looking for is this, a simple digital clock that has the following properties:
  • Seconds display [very much preferred]
  • Compact size [something PIC powered, preferably]
  • Battery-powered
  • Multiplexed output for a small, seven-seg, eight digit Futaba/Noritake calculator VFD

I've been fiddling around with some VFDs lately and I got an idea for a pocket watch-ish clock that would be pretty neat, I just cannot find anything small enough to do what I want, nor can I find anything that multiplexes a seconds display. I've found bits and pieces of numerous projects that, when amalgamated, would be perfect, but I lack the proper electronic know-how to engineer then into what I need. I'm not asking for a hand-out here (though I won't turn one down ;)) but a point in the right direction would be great.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, Warmech!

your specs are little odd I fear.

you may know that VFD requires an DC-DC converter to get high voltage.

State of art is LCD. there are clocks with seconds display across the road for a peanut.

There are also clocks with VFD as used in cars with green display or orange display. they may not show seconds unless you manipulate.

now a days you get low power seven segment LED displays.and I hope they could be acceptable.

Hope it is time to settle for modern displays like Large graphics LCDs and start designing and writing software around them. Better is to use a RTC chip like one from Dallas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back