Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing System HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a big deal since if it does fail, I've only lost an hour. If it succeeds, i've saved 7 hours.

it will not take 8 hours. to install xp it takes be 35 minuets on a pentium M. it you get a usb encloser for you hard disk you can copy all of your files via usb. so it should not take that long. plus you can let everything copy over night

... without MBR? :confused:

Any copy action will not write into the Master Boot Record!

Hans

I just went and got a new computer and went through the drudgery. It took me more like about 3 or 4 days to set it all back up. But looking back from the other side. It is a far cry better. It's just something we have to do I would say about every 4 years max. Other wise you got a machine that just can't cut the mustard.

Speaking of which, I have met people who sit around writing viruses all day. On the internet. See I program in MASM. So what I'm saying is your old machine just wont survive the attacks forever. Your using a desk top console? Yeah, back everything up which you should do anyway, then get the new hard disk and I would seriously consider putting some new hardware behind it. New mother board and more RAM. The more RAM you got the less your hard disk has to work doing virtual memory stuff.

Don't bother with any short cut programs. You'll just export the viruses too.

4 years. to me a four year old computer is new to me. my pentium m is gold to me. and my P3 that i gave to my sister is still running strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back