Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OUR INEFFICIENT EDUCATION SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
It"s just two days left for my exam and my head may almost burst in the coming days thanks to our inefficient education system.Unlike in western education we have to study a lot the whole year and mugging up is the essence.Most of my friends do nothing creative than just study and attend private classes the whole day and the whole year and that"s why they become flatheads ,
they learn nothing practical and just rely on theories and when you question them tactfully they fail.But thanks to my parents(especially dad) who never supported this kind of education system and always have allowed me to learn freely by seldom letting me attend private classes till class 8.I don"t properly know about the education system in western countries but I think it is certainly better as there the study pressure is less.

Unlike in western education we have to study a lot the whole year and mugging up is the essence
Continuous study is the essence in most education systems, certainly in Europe. Why do you think it's not, in 'western education'?

In Scotland we have a new exam system called national 4 and national 5, we have not done ANY experiments or practical work in science for over 18 months, and yet I get 3 hours of biology a week. Its my favorite subject but the school is killing my interest! The reason we dont have practical work is they are teaching us to get a pass in the exam, the sole focus of the lessons is to get us above a E grade so they meet the exam targets. Western education is as crap as anywhere, the only way to learn is to teach yourself and view exams as a bonus.

What do you think are the drivers of this standardize testing?

Look up the history, and you will find the innovations of the 1940s led the DOD to have the annual testing in the high schools and the creation of the ASVAB.

Of course, once you start measuring, the compare and contrast follows.

Last edited:
In the UK its no longer about knowledge or teaching, its about reaching your targets to get X number of students to gain X Y Z pass marks. In science for example no one cares if they inspire someone to become a scientist, as long as they reach the school target. NO one in my class except me can even do a simple titration. Its becoming a joke, the top 5% of my year group spend least 2-3 days a week self studying at home, we are not meant too but we get the best results so they allow it.

Today's educational systems (apparently, world wide) are aimed solely at the "masses". When the Federal government(s) got involved, it became a numbers game and the goal(s) sought are the lowest common denominators, i.e., it is in a continual process of being dumbed down to meet the ideal statistics sought by the bureaucrats. Their bonuses are are tied to "throughput" quantity rather than quality. Teaching the test is now the expected norm. A students understanding of the subject has become irrelevant.

The well and truly "gifted" finds ways around the common education system (they see it for what it is), as evidenced by many of the members of this forum.

It"s just two days left for my exam and my head may almost burst in the coming days thanks to our inefficient education system.Unlike in western education we have to study a lot the whole year and mugging up is the essence
[....]
I don"t properly know about the education system in western countries but I think it is certainly better as there the study pressure is less.
Nah, sorry bro. Not buying it.
You know we have the news here, right?
India's long time and deeply ingrained rampant university cheating scandal(S) are well known.
Your (lack of) education system is a matter of global renown.

When I first saw the videos (and there is an endless supply of videos, from every corner of your country) I though it must be slanted media. But new evidence surfaces every time an Indian student comes onto this and other forums that I frequent, and says that they are a fourth year student, about to obtain their bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, but first they need us to provide them the answer to this one pesky little question about something called Ohms Law that they've never heard of.

It isnt the Indian students, I am at school with one who gives me a run for the money, he works hard and studies hard, he came from India 3 years ago, the problem is the teachers there are the ones getting degrees and then teaching, look at Mr led sign here! he started teaching and didnt know one end of the soldering iron from the other, then look at my old tech teacher, he was a history teacher who did a week course in electronics and was then qualified to teach it. True story I mentioned to him one day he had a dry joint, I swear to you he washed the board under the tap!!

You are getting what you voted for and I am suffering for it. SIMPLES

It isnt the Indian students, I am at school with one who gives me a run for the money, he works hard and studies hard, he came from India 3 years ago,
As a general principle you need to:
1 Get the man out of India.
2 Get India out of the man.
Then you are in with a chance of success.

JimB

As a general principle you need to:
1 Get the man out of India.
2 Get India out of the man.
Then you are in with a chance of success.

JimB
Sad but true Jim, the problem being this is called immigration and generally dosnt go down well. Maybe self governing wasnt a great idea after all but we cant go there!

Its becoming a joke, the top 5% of my year group spend least 2-3 days a week self studying at home, we are not meant too but we get the best results so they allow it.

Equality of ACCESS does not mean equal results. The politico's don't understand that. The schools will "teach the test" because they can't or won't look at the test as an assessment and a guide for improvement. Why? Because poor performance on the test in multiple years equates to loss of funding.

What do you think a ____ grader should know and/or do? We can modify that phrase so anyone, employers, supervisors, etc, can answer this simple question about their charges ... What do you want them to do? Think about that. If I stated one should design an amplifier with a x10 gain using various topologies, that implies you must KNOW how to design the amplifiers. One could brute force it and by chance hit upon the combination, but a modification of that statement to include other criteria, Input Z, Output Z, bandwidth, etc to accomplish the task.

There are home schooled lesson plans that state the objectives and then teach the objectives. Some think that means the "rote" method only, to satisfy the "passing" grade so the school doesn't get on the "naughty" list.

I found out the "NEW" SAT test is due out next month.

In science for example no one cares if they inspire someone to become a scientist, as long as they reach the school target.

The government rules are forcing schools to teach kids to pass the exams, they don't have a choice.

However, the Uni's (and better schools) are doing what they can, my daughter has recently been going in to primary schools doing 'interesting' science lessons for year two's :D
She's also been writing the lessons, and providing training, for Undergrads to go and run the courses as well.

Just to depress you even more (as you're unlikely to ever meet her :p) she's now taken up belly dancing as well!!!.

I found out the "NEW" SAT test is due out next month.
And that's a typical problem. Too much political interference. Every time there's a change in Head of the Education Department (or whatever the post is called) they feel obliged to make their mark by fiddling with the examination system. There's no time for the dust to settle so that schools can adjust to the new system before some other change is made. Students should not be subject to this constant shifting of the goal-posts. I have some empathy too for the teaching staff, having to cope with constantly changing curricula and demands.

she's now taken up belly dancing as well!!
Is that on the school curriculum now? I wouldn't be surprised. Probably displaced the 3R's, which obviously no longer fit into today's school time-table.

The government rules are forcing schools to teach kids to pass the exams, they don't have a choice.

However, the Uni's (and better schools) are doing what they can, my daughter has recently been going in to primary schools doing 'interesting' science lessons for year two's :D
She's also been writing the lessons, and providing training, for Undergrads to go and run the courses as well.

Just to depress you even more (as you're unlikely to ever meet her :p) she's now taken up belly dancing as well!!!.
I can move school :D, a female into chemistry and a belly dancer!! That dont make them more perfect than that!! Hell she can have a key to my shed and I will go shopping for the curtains with her! :D

I can move school :D, a female into chemistry and a belly dancer!! That dont make them more perfect than that!! Hell she can have a key to my shed and I will go shopping for the curtains with her! :D

She's also a third degree black belt, and a multi-instrument musician and singer - not to mention she has a Dutch boyfriend, who's older than you! :p

She's also a third degree black belt, and a multi-instrument musician and singer - not to mention she has a Dutch boyfriend, who's older than you! :p
I have a decent soldering station does he?

And that's a typical problem. Too much political interference.

Not just the politicians. The College admissions folks are always looking for a better metric. The new SAT is closer to the ACT with performance metrics. Now, is this a good thing? I don't know.

Both tests were touted as "predictors" to success in college. Just like the ASVAB is a predictor to how one would do in a military "basic school" for a particular job.

I don't recall which treatise specifically, Ethics or Politics, but Aristotle wrote of the different classes, which would be consistent with blue collar and white collar workers these days. Again equal access does not mean equal success. Some will recall May V Smith's statement about "the only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" and others will think that equal success doesn't require work.

We see it in the home work section of most electronics forums. Those that "work" will be successful. Those that just want an answer and no interaction, well, their success will be lesser.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back