Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing portable dvd player spindle motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWLam

Problem:craig portable dvd player can't read disc, spins for a second then screen says "no disc". narrow down the problem to be the spindle motor.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the spindle motor in the portable dvd player with a dvd rom spindle motor or maybe one from an old dvd player or completely takeout the lens and rotor motor from the dvdrom or dvd player, incase it was the lens problem. Thanks!

spins for a second then screen says "no disc". narrow down the problem to be the spindle motor.

replace the lens and rotor motor from the dvdrom or dvd player, in case it was the lens problem. Thanks!

So is it the motor or the laser? :)

Have you tried cleaning the lense(carefully) ?

one that plays hours of music can be had for a song.

Good pun, Bill :)

But it's a portable dvd player...

Even if you could obtain a replacement assembly it wouldnt just be a drop in replacement....I'm sure some test gear would be required to set it up

Last edited:
yes i've tried to clean the lens many times...the lens seems to be reading fine. then it suddenly just stop spinning....well thanks thats all i really needed to know....i guess i might need to order the replacement or scrap it.....anybody know any ideas of recyclying the portable dvd player for somthing else?....the lcd screen seem to still work fine...anyway to integrate the screen and board to some other drive?

Craig is a pretty cheap brand, in my previous post before I removed the MP3 player reference (I didn't notice DVD for some reason) I suggested a solid state MP3 player would be better than fixing it.
Assuming it's a 7" screen you might want to consider replacing it with a Netbook.

replace the 7" screen with a netbook? you mean integrate the screen with a netbook board?... please do tell=)....i would splurg on a netbook board

No. Scrap the Craig, buy a Netbook and rip your DVDs to the HDD using AnyDVD, optionally recompress them with Handbrake to H.264 (a typical movie will be less than 1G). A cheap 2008 Netbook will often have an 8.9" screen and some have amazing battery life.

what a waste of eletronic...Thanks blueroomeletronics and all that have responded....well was really trying to fix this for my parents... iguess they gotta buy a new one...cheap a** craig player. NEVER buy CRaig!...Well no need for a netbook...i did a little gooogling and found this video

YouTube - 9 Inch TFT Monitor Out Of An Old DVD Player

anybody know how he did this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back