Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing AC adapter with wire to distribution panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

xboxhaxorz

I am going to install a few of these cameras Camera and i was going to cut the ac adapter wire and solder it to some 16 gauge or other size wire Wire
and then connect that to a power distribution panel Camera Power Distribution Panel.
I think it will be fine. But i wanted to make sure that would work, so im asking just before i do it and fry something?

Last edited:
I can't tell if that camera supply meets clasee II requirements. Decent panels will limit each output to 100 Watts and use PTC resistors or fuses. Example replacement: Altronix: a leading manufacturer of electronics and high technology components Check out the website for other stuff.

Some info about class II: **broken link removed**

Your camera and PS link are the same.

You made no reference if the units would be going outside. There are siamese video cables that can be purchased with the power wires included in the video/power bundle already.

I don't know if the cameras are standard video, IP cameras, Illuminated, PTZ capability etc.

The power wires you picked is not a pair and there is no mention of UV exposure or outdoor use.

Is battery backup required?

alarm-saf is another manufacturer.

I mistakenly put the wrong link, i edited the link for camera Camera. Well i will be putting 4 outside and 2 inside, the 2 indoor cameras may be different but from the same company. These are IP cameras so in this case they just need power. The cameras will be about 30ft up on the roof wall. The 2 indoor will be lower.

Basically the unit would be mounted outside, the wire would come inside threw a drilled hole. From there we are stuck as far as power goes, i figured i could cut the existing wire from the ac adapter and solder it to a longer power wire that connects to the panel. We have a UPS inside that the panel would connect too. We may or may not connect it to the UPS, as ours is a small unit but we will upgrade at some point.

This is the only option we could think of that would be clean.

MidSouth Wire and Cable Discount Wire, Wholesale Wire, Wholesale Cable Prices, Cable and Wire Specials sells a 16 AWG 4C siamese CAT 5 cable.

Check out these coax barrel adapter: Power Connectors, Terminal Blocks, 9V Adapters, Coax Adapters They are made in a few other sizes

You can wrap with self-fusing (Plymouth Bishop Ply-sil) electrical tape. Only problem is that it's grey. Someone makes the stuff in colors and sell it in hardware stores. The roll is about $30 USD. I always have some around. Definately waterproof and removeable with some effort.

Just make sure your drip loops are correctly done.

Clean on the inside depends if you have to worry about tamper and dust. Let's suppose you don't. You can get RJ45 surface mount couplers and a bushing for your power cable. Possibly good enough to squeeze down on the cable. Place these where your cables enter and then directly inside, use DIN rail terminals for the camera power. Then wire from the entrance to the power connector block.
It would be great if you could put an ethernet switch inside.

it's clean, but it may have some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back