Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement Power for a 5.1 Speaker system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartie

Replacement Power for a 5.1 Speaker system [Unsolved]

Hey

i bought a second hand surround system for my pc of TradeMe (New Zealand Auction Website) and the guy selling it said there was something wrong with the sub speaker.

anyway i got it a few days ago and found that the insides had caught fire obviously from a power surge, i replaced the diodes that caught fire and a IC that cracked. but when i tried to power it up the Power transformer got really hot within 20 secs and started to smoke.... That's not a good sign...

i know for a fact that i did not cause this but the previous owner did maybe from trying to get the thing going.

My question is, i cannot find any transformers that output the same power as this one it takes 220~240v input and outputs 12v~0.9A and 10v~1A

i can find a transformer that outputs either 10v or a 12 easily but not both :(

What can i do? if you need pictures i'll be more than happy to supply them for you.

Thanks in advanced!!!

Last edited:
12V is only 20% higher than 10V.
Why does the thing use two voltages that are almost the same? Even the max allowed currents are almost the same.

im not sure, it could be that one is used to power the Sub speaker and the center speaker, and the other power source is used to pwer the rest of the speakers

here are some pictures to help out this situation

Attachments

• P1200043.JPG
    P1200043.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 353
  • P1200044.JPG
    P1200044.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 360
  • P1200046.JPG
    P1200046.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 362
  • P1200045.JPG
    P1200045.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 355
It has 12VAC times two at 0.9A. So its power is 21.6VA and the amplifiers that use it have a total output of only about 14W.

The 10VAC winding has a power of only 10VA. Then its amplifier has a total output of only 6W.

Its power is so low that it is not worth spending money to fix it.

Gee thanks.... i came here hoping i would get help

You might not always get the answer you're after but you'll usually get an honest answer.

I'd concur with the above. You can pick up a half reasonable 5.1 system for less than $50 (£35) or you could throw good money after bad trying to find out why yours isn't working. You might spend $20 or so getting a new transformer only to find out the fault is elsewhere.

Forgot to say - try powering the transformer without connecting it up to the PCB - if it doesn't get hot then it may well be ok with something on the PCB causing the problem.

$50 for you may be $80 - $100 for me due to currency exchange rates and atm i don't have that kind of money :( (my job is seasonal and I'm a student)

but i guess your right. i'll stick with headphones for now

Yeah!! don't lose the flow man, get a 2nd hand hi-fi's from late 80's or early 90's, they work and sound much better that the modern chinese crap...

I say that, because majority of people today prefers crap stereos with blinking lights, huge useless LCD's and 10000000 W PMPO, and left the good old-school used equipment for us :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back