Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I've been asked to help find a replacement for an LCD MOdule that is going to be obsoleted, but I'm having a huge amount of trouble hunting through LCD manufacturers and LCDs since they are so varied and so many and I don't know much about them.

Does anyone know of a possible replacement for the Tianma TM9632ACIWG?

Drop-in would be fanastic, but as it stands the most important things are a compatible pinout and same controller:

Controller: S6B0715A11-B0CZ (KS0715UM-H0CC)
20-pin FPC connector (pinout is in the attached datasheet

Dimension is also important since we want to make minimal hardware and mechanical changes, but I've yet to find another LCD that even meets the above two specs.

Attachments

• Tianma TM9632ACIWG.pdf
    284.8 KB · Views: 318
Well just skimming over the datasheet, you need a 96x32 pixel, positive, transflective, FSTN 'custom' LCD. *Custom* because of the custom characters at the top. Serial interface, requiring external caps for the Vboost.

I don't think you're going to have much luck there mate. I only have a couple of suggestions.

1) Get onto a generic LCD manufacturer (topway, or another one form china) and send them the specs to get them to start manufacturing it. Very expensive and only worth it if you need LOTS of them.

2) Use a generic 132x32 graphic LCD, with an external micro to translate the serial commands/data from the original LCD's cammand set, to the new LCD's command set. The micro could also generate the 'custom symbols', altohugh they would be in dot-matrix format and so not be as clear.

There are 96x32 LCD's, but 132x32 or 120x32 is more common. As for 'FSTN' (black pixels instead of the horrid STN blue/grey) I'm pretty sure they are available.

Manufacturers would include:
BATRON
EVERBOUQUET
TOPWAY

Getting the same dimension will also be tricky, COG design is mandatory. But an 'adapter board' with the micro could be made <2mm thick and attach to the back.

Sorry for the bad news, but that is just my opinion. There are loads of special custom LCD's about, but the fact yours is one just makes it even harder to find a suitable replacement.

Blueteeth

What about contacting Tianma directly?
As said, it's a custom panel, you'll either need to strip them out of whatever you got it from or order scads of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back