Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace reed switch with something else to continually close/open circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghh3rd

I have a device with a magnetic reed switch.

I want to replace the reed switch with something that will close/open the circuit continually, adjustable to anywhere from perhaps once per second to perhaps 4 times per second.

I imagine that the heart of this would be a 555 chip, but that's about all I (think) that I know. I have never constructed anything like this before.

Are there any simple plans anywhere to accomplish something like this?

Thanks,

Randyu

Need to know the voltage and current the reed switch is switching.

Why not just control the reed switch with a 555?

Good idea. Leaving the reed switch in place, and using a 555 to control it would definitly seem like a better solution.

Now, can anyone point out a good way to do this? Only one speed is necessary. Perhaps I could tweak the circuit until I get to the desired speed?

Thanks,

Randy

Gayan,

Will do -- but the reed switch requires a magnetic field; how will the 555 actually 'control' the switch?

Sorry if my question sounds obvious, but I'm new at this. I'd really like to get into building and eventually being able to design components.

Randy

I take it the reed switch is activated by a magnet normally.

In that case you would need to wind a coil around the switch. Any small tube (straw) that just fits over the reed should work as a coil form. Then you need to wind many turns of as fine a wire as you can find (such as 30Ga or finer). You will have to experimentally determine how many turns and how much current it takes to activate the switch. From that you can calculate the voltage and resistance in series with the coil will provide the required current.

Otherwise just substitue a reed relay for the reed switch. They have the coil already wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back