Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace an LL4148 with a zener diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
The LL4148 diode has the same electrical specification as the regular 1N4148, why do want to use a zener.?

E

Why would you want to replace a signal diode with a zener diode?
What part of the PSU circuit is involved (which would determine the voltage rating)?

Thanks. I want to use a zener diode simply because I don't have a signal diode at hand to use.

Edit: Actually I don't have 1N4148 either, guess I have to order something anyway.

Thanks. I want to use a zener diode simply because I don't have a signal diode at hand to use.

Edit: Actually I don't have 1N4148 either, guess I have to order something anyway.

A 4148 is a bog-standard small silicon diode, you can use pretty well any little silicon diode to replace it.

However, you don't give any indication of what the diode does?, the diodes datasheet is no use at all.

A 4148 is a bog-standard small silicon diode, you can use pretty well any little silicon diode to replace it.

However, you don't give any indication of what the diode does?, the diodes datasheet is no use at all.

Sorry about that.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/207782153/Dell-2407-WFP-Power-Supply-Rev-A11-Schematic-Diagram

The diode in question is D655, which is found on the first page, connected to pin 7 of the L6561D PFC.

It is for the same PSU I've posted about before, https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/repairing-a-dell-2407wfp-lcd.149287/

All I have as far as SMD diode parts go are various zener diodes. In particular, these are all I have: **broken link removed**

As you can understand, I'm a beginner when it comes to repairs of SMD stuff, I guess I should spend my time in a better way than attempting to repair that PSU but I want to do it. It is my own device, and I don't intend to assemble it fully and run it permanently with a non-optimal part that may be a hazard. But if I could just use something and at least test it to see if it is working, then I can always order what it actually should have and replace that final part before it put it back together. Or would it be fine to use one of the zener diodes that I have? What voltage should I use in that case?

hi,
IMO a fast switching signal diode is required, in order to quickly discharge the MOSFET Gate capacitor.
Zener diodes are inherently slow and 'soft' and are not suitable for this repair.

If you have access to any scrapped electronic modules, you should be able recover a suitable signal diode
E

All I have as far as SMD diode parts go are various zener diodes. In particular, these are all I have: **broken link removed**

The link you mentioned is for SMD resistors. I hope you don't think resistors and Zener diodes are the same thing...
In any case, you could probably just leave the diode and the resistor out -- the datasheet for the L6561 shows neither on that pin in the applications notes. It looks like the gate driver circuit in the L6561 would make anything else redundant.

Do you have scrap boards? I can get hundreds from such boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back