Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removed thread "Transistor switch"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickster

Most Helpful Member
A thread titled "Transistor switch", that contained a YouTube video and asked for critique of it, has been removed from ETO today.
The embedded video was related to electronics and was narrated in English, albeit a little broken in places, but if/when rewound and listened to again, could be understood.
There was some debate between members, as to whether the thread was made simply to elicit views.
There was also another debate between myself, and another member, regarding negative remarks which were initially made towards the OP's command of English.
I note that the other member's previous remarks had been edited by a Moderator and a warning issued, but similarly disparaging remarks about non-native-English speakers were made in a subsequent post.
An international forum, such as ETO, should not allow it's members to disparage each-other based upon race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. and this is outlined in our TOS, IIRC.
Where there is a breach, it should be up to all members to challenge this and/or report to Admin/Moderation, in order to stamp it out.
My last post in that thread, following a somewhat-heated exchange regarding this member's constant race-related jibes, was along the lines of "That crap has no place here."
The reply was:
That foreign video has no place here.
Moderator, please delete this thread.
Aaaand....pooof! The thread has now gone.

"That foreign video" was narrated in English, and the OP was made in the English language.
The video was also electronics-related.
So I have to ask the question:
"What part(s) of ETO's TOS were violated, in order for the thread to be deleted?"

EDIT:
Inquiring minds may wish to know....."WHO deleted the thread, and WHY?"
Was it at the OP's request, or that of the protagonist?

Regards.

Last edited:
Inquiring minds may wish to know....."WHO deleted the thread, and WHY?"
Was it at the OP's request, or that of the protagonist?

I deleted it.

No it was not done at the behest of AG.

The whole thread had become a mess of silly argument.

I had considered deleting all posts except the initial one with the video, but I considered that the video itself was technically poor and was simply an attempt at self promotion by its creator.

JimB

Understood on the above regarding the mess, I make my apology to you personally for having to clean it up, although I disagree on the "self-promotion" aspect....along with the description "technically poor". AFAIK, we do not have a particular 'Standard' that defines the quality of video content which is allowed here, please advise if a new member is prohibited from showing simple "blinky-lights" and other such basic, technically-poor projects.

Also, can you please clarify ETO's future stance when it comes to members denigrating and ridiculing others, based upon ethnicity, country of origin, and/or in written and oral forms of communication?

Just a heads-up...that type of stuff grips my bits, so it's going to get challenged and reported at every instance going forward...
I will keep within the TOS. ;)

Am I a racist because I am becoming a visible minority in my own country?
No, others are quite accepting. The constant references such as below, which intend to ridicule and promote intolerance, exist to enforce your disdain/dislike of other cultures:
barely speeky zee Engrish.
How about you try to help those who 'barely speeky zee Engrish.', to not 'barely speeky zee Engrish.'
Maybe you might learn something about other cultures that could benefit your own, not hinder it?
It's a small world out there....embrace it.....the whole of it.

Anybody else seen the deleted posts in this thread, in an attempt to protect AG?

I really hate this kind of "fighting". Sometimes, it is the worst part of online stuff. Mickster I am fine with you - I don't know you, of course, but I am fine with you on the board. I am also fine with AG - oh yeah, I envision a cantankerous old curmudgeon and I don't know him any better than I know you (I do think I called him a curmudgeon's curmudgeon once).

"A visible minority in my own country?" I get that it makes no sense, nobody owns the country that they were born in and if he were born there a few hundred years ago he definitely would be a visible minority in Canada (assuming he is not native). But, I am hoping that he is "yelling at the kids to get off his yard" and that kind of thing and not full of hatred in his heart (maybe some piss and vinegar, but not hatred) and so I think you are way over the top calling him a racist.

Also, can you please clarify ETO's future stance when it comes to members denigrating and ridiculing others, based upon ethnicity, country of origin, and/or in written and oral forms of communication?

I get calling it out - no problem at all, but you did that and when you keep calling it out it can be viewed as self-righteousness. Let me give an example, Here, you posted a cartoon that makes fun of non-english speakers - what makes that funny? Isn't that denigrating non-english speakers...foreigners, as one might say. While I didn't think it was all that funny, I was not offended at all. BUT, if I wanted to be offended, there was plenty there to point out.

I remember the initial video - barely, it did not interest me, looked like spam (self-promotion) and the English was poor - to my ear. I like BBC comedies and I have to get used to some of them in order to "hear" it well. More importantly, a moderator dealt with it well, I thought, and explained it - something I have notably not seen on another board.

So, I thought it was over, but this thread got extended (yeah yeah, you had left it and it came up again). Now, posts are being deleted and it is back on.

I may be a relative newcomer to these forums, but I have never seen these fights result in anything good (except when I am involved in them :))

Thanks for your thoughts DrG.
This was kinda sitting idle since November, but AG did a necro this evening.....
Some posts have since been deleted. IDK why.

Let me give an example, Here, you posted a cartoon that makes fun of non-english speakers - what makes that funny? Isn't that denigrating non-english speakers...foreigners, as one might say. While I didn't think it was all that funny, I was not offended at all. BUT, if I wanted to be offended, there was plenty there to point out.
There's a full mix of everyone who might attend that class...maybe it's the second class after the introduction?? The irony is that the writing is on the wall, but they haven't got to that stage yet..
I'm an immigrant to the country where I currently live.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt...
I have nothing personal against AG as a member of this forum.
His electronics experience is top shelf and I get pleasure from reading his input.
What I do object to, is all of the other sh!t that does not belong here..

It's a tough, thankless job being a Mod. Trying to keep the peace is sometimes very difficult to do. Thats all I know.

What I do object to, is all of the other sh!t that does not belong here..

You mean like this .. .. .. .. .. .

' .. … … ... … ..I would like to ignore the same abrasive member as you Mike, please let me know if you find a way to completely erase it's input from the face of this earth this forum....
Never had an ignore list before, but just found out how to add someone to it.

Tarnished Soapbox ??

S

We all are allowed our opinion EVEN if there are those who are offended... I have been massively critiqued on my presence here, but as our colleague, in our modbin, JimB said... "I've got big boy pants" Water off a ducks back.... There are far more bigger issues, like.. Where's my next whisky coming from...

Jim
We all are allowed our opinion EVEN if there are those who are offended... I have been massively critiqued on my presence here, but as our colleague, in our modbin, JimB said... "I've got big boy pants" Water off a ducks back.... There are far more bigger issues, like.. Where's my next whisky coming from...
Hahaha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back