Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remove HDMI Audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshsstuff

I wish to remove the audio properties of my HDMI display cables.
Is there a way to do this by making an adapter that cuts out certain pins?

The problem:
I'm having problems with Audio being diverted to my monitors instead of the desired audio device.
(Windows 10 has a tendency to re-route Audio to a newly plugged in device. This has been a problem for my system.)

Solutions I've tried:
Software:
I've already tried the Software solution of disabling all audio sources, however when Windows updates mysteriously these audio sources get re-enabled!
I've searched this topic and found a few places where people wanted to extract the Audio from HDMI.
(SPDIF- so perhaps there is a way to omit the Audio?)

DVI output:
Since DVI does not carry audio, a DVI to HDMI cable is safe from this behavior.
(Windows does not even recognize the display as a potential audio device)
Using DVI outputs from the graphics card and HDMI adapters would solve the problem, however I don't have enough.

Here is the pinout of HDMI from Wikipedia:
HDMI_Pinout.JPG

Compared with the pinout of DVI:
(Single link pins circled)
DVI_Pinout.JPG

If you count the flat pin, This seems to be a 19pin to 19pin direct connection.
But I didn't think HDMI and DVI used the same standard.

Does anyone know of a way to disable only the pins responsible for Audio?

As you can see from your pinout, the only pins present are serial data pins. The video and audio data are interleaved together so there are no dedicated audio pins to disable. Do your monitors have a setting where they don't accept audio? Or perhaps your video card

Perhaps your video card itself has a setting to stop the auto-switching or disable audio altogether? Or if you are using integrated graphics, maybe your BIOS has a disable setting related to your graphics or your audio (check both).

Last edited:
As you can see from your pinout, the only pins present are serial data pins. The video and audio data are interleaved together so there are no dedicated audio pins to disable. Do your monitors have a setting where they don't accept audio? Or perhaps your video card

Perhaps your video card itself has a setting to stop the auto-switching or disable audio altogether? Or if you are using integrated graphics, maybe your BIOS has a disable setting related to your graphics or your audio (check both).

Yes, I see that you are right.
I will have access to the system tomorrow, I'll check it out then. I would love a simple solution such as what you have mentioned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back