Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

remote telephone ringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYVALK

i need to build, and be shown how to hook up, a remote phone bell, so i can hear the phone when im outside of my office.
any ideas?
thanx in advance.

wow... bigger than i thought hahaha

MYVALK said:
i need to build, and be shown how to hook up, a remote phone bell, so i can hear the phone when im outside of my office.
any ideas?
thanx in advance.

wow... bigger than i thought hahaha

Just use a normal phone hooked up outside your office?

You've got to be careful what you connect to the phone lines. It's better if you buy such a device and most likely cheaper than the parts you'll need.

MYVALK said:
but.. if i wanted to build my own, what would it entail?
Bill is right. Why reinvent the wheel?

The phone ring in the U.S. is a 20Hz, 75VAC signal which is riding on -48V DC. You need to detect the AC (without drawing any significant DC current) and convert it into a higher frequency audible signal (20Hz being pretty well inaudible). The circuit to detect this must be isolated from ground. The equivalent load for 1 ringer is defined to be an 8uF cap in series with 6930 ohms. It's good practice not to exceed that load when connecting to the phone line.

I made one many years ago using a unijunction transistor oscillator powered from the ring signal to generate high frequency pulses (a kHz or so) which drove a small speaker. Made kind of a ratty sound, but you knew when the phone was ringing.

Still want to do it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back