Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

remote switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat337d

I want to build a on off switch that can be controlled from a remote. For example to switch a 12 v light source/sources on and off. I only know the basics of electronics. what componets would I need? how would I build this circut? Is it a easy/simple circut to build?

Also how hard would it be to add a dimmer button to the remote?

any help would be greatly appreciated :D

When you talk about a remote controlled switch, all you're really saying is that you want to control a switch from a remote location. This means that you could accomplish this goal via a wired system (you could wire the controls for the switch to some remote location) or a wireless system in which you can control the switch without having to use interconnecting wires.

I assume you were reffering to a wireless system, of which there are many types to choose from. If you're talking about a classic infra-red type communication system like your home TV remote control, then a project based on this would be relatively simple for someone who has knowledge of microcontrollers, but you're saying you only have basic electronics knowledge?

Can I ask what the point of this project is? Is it to satisfy your own personal interest or is it instead to satisfy a syllabus for a class project? If the former then I'm sure you'll be able to find a project you can build which will satisfy your exact needs or adapt an existing project in some fashion to suit your particular needs. If the latter then you're really going to need to be clear about what level the project needs to be designed to whether it be GCSE-Level, HNC-Level, Degree level or whatever.

Leave us a reply with some detailed information on what the project is for (and perhaps what you intend to do with it) and I think we'll all be in a much better position to advise you on what research to do and generally how to proceed from the blank sheet of design paper you're currently looking at :)

Brian

This is a personal project I am doing. I really havent taken any electronics classes yet(Im a physics major). we have just covered the basics.
the purpose of my project is to (with the eaisest means) turn a led lamp on and off and maybe dimm the lamp. It can use infared or RF. I would prefer the cheapest and easyest way.
My knowledge of pic's is still limited. I am still in the learning process
with it. Although I do have a programming board and some pics already.

Actually, you don't really need a PIC for something like this.

1. Just on On/Off switch.
Transmitter: Pulse an IR led at some frequency (say 40kHz). Make it so it pulses when you press a button on your remote.
Receiver: Receive the signal from an IR sensor (photodiode or phototransistor), put a bandpass filter with center frequency at 40kHz. Connect its output to a logic level converter (a simple transistor could work here). Then, connect the output of the converter to a JK FlipFlop IC. Connect J and K to Vcc and apply the output of the converter to Clock.
Connect your LED (with a resistor) to the output (either Q or /Q) of the FlipFlop.
They sell those IR receiver modules that receive the signal, amplify it, filter it and shape it to logic levels. If you use one of those, then connect its output to FlipFlop directly.

2. If you want to dim the light, then you should use the same transmitter. The receiver will have an Up/Down 4bit counter IC and a 4bit DAC IC (digital to analog converter), or you can use a R2R ladder instead of the DAC. IR Module's output will connect to Counter's clock, and its outputs to DAC's inputs. The output of DAC will go to the LED. Also, use an NAND gate IC (with 4 inputs) and connect it to the Clock of the JK FlipFlop (with J and K connected to VCC). The output of the FlipFlop will go to Up/Down selector pin of the counter.
In this configuration, when you press the button and hold it, the LED will start dimming. Then, if you keep pressing it, the LED will start lighting up again, then it'll dim, and so on.

In the second case, maybe you could use a PIC, but I think that it's much better to use several ICs, because you'll learn ALOT from that.

Good Luck,
TI|CP

thanks for the help. It really helped clarify the situation. I really like the idea of not using a pic (for cost reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back