Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

remote controlled speaker volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not need amps for every speaker. You CAN use a speaker attenuator. It is also known as a "L" pad. Its a high power potentiometer.
You can switch high power resistors in series with your speakers with a remote to attenuate your speaker volume.
google "speaker attenuator" to get started.
Andy

You obviously didn't bother reading all the thread :D

He specifically wanted NOT to lose quality.

Nigel i dont want the quality to be reduced but my primary amp is like 1000Watt. So can i use the method 4pyros mentioned?

The thing is, the input signal for the remote controller kit is already pretty amplified. Will the PIC microcontroller be able to read it?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 126
Nigel i dont want the quality to be reduced but my primary amp is like 1000Watt. So can i use the method 4pyros mentioned?

I suggest you google "100V line", which is what is used for multiple PA speakers in hotels etc.

It doesn't give what you asked for, but does allow simple switched volume levels, or a crude 'volume control' using a high power pot.

It also completely destroys the damping effect from the amp, reducing quality.

The thing is, the input signal for the remote controller kit is already pretty amplified. Will the PIC microcontroller be able to read it?

Of course, you just need to reverse engineer the protocol used and write the software to do so.

You obviously didn't bother reading all the thread :D

He specifically wanted NOT to lose quality.
Nigel; How dose using an L pad reduce quality? Its done all the time for remote speakers. It justs waists some power.
Andy

I suggest you google "100V line",
I believe thats a 70 volt speaker system.
It also completely destroys the damping effect from the amp, reducing quality.
I believe the 70 volts amps are designed with a transformer output having little effect on the damping.

Hear are some remote control speaker volume controls;
**broken link removed**

I believe thats a 70 volt speaker system.

Not in my country, but as you don't have your's filled in I've no idea what your's might use.

I believe the 70 volts amps are designed with a transformer output having little effect on the damping.

Why would you believe a transformer would have little effect on the damping? - 100V line isn't intended to be high quality, basically mostly background music and voice announcements (and often using just PA horns, so no bass anyway).

Here is a digital unit;
https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/divoco.html
Seems like most of the off the shelf stuff just passes the IR back to the sorce unit.
If this is not what you want then maybe you can mod the digital units with key fob remotes ( made for automotive use) on different channels to control the up and down buttons on the volume controllers. Thats just the DIY in me. Look around you maybe able to find something that you like. Andy

Not in my country, but as you don't have your's filled in I've no idea what your's might use.

Why would you believe a transformer would have little effect on the damping? - 100V line isn't intended to be high quality, basically mostly background music and voice announcements (and often using just PA horns, so no bass anyway).

The transformers are supost to keep the same load on the amp.
The L pads are also supost to keep the same load on the amp.
Both of these methods will reduce the effect of the volume control on the dampening factor.

Yes I would never use a high voltage speaker system for High Fidelity.

Andy

Last edited:
The transformers are supost to keep the same load on the amp.
The L pads are also supost to keep the same load on the amp.
Both of these methods will reduce the effect of the volume control on the dampening factor.

You appear to be unaware that the transformer will completely destroy the dampening effect of the amplifier - as will long speaker wires for that matter (but no where near as much).

You appear to be unaware
Nigel; I am not unaware. I just dont think that the dampening factor is of major concern in this case. Everything is a trade off and in this case using L pads may be more acceptable than building 7 amps. The effect that off the shelf volume controllers with correction will have on the damping of 40 watt speakers will be so small no one will care. For all we know the OP has cheap speakers mounted in a attic space with hundreds of feet of 16 gage wire. I don't think we have enough information about the situation to make a disishoin for the OP.
L pads are just one of the options available to the OP thats used all the time. Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back