Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote controlled car -> robot hack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug3737

Does anyone know what it takes to take a remote controlled car and hack it into a robot... I was thinking you could probably use a mini-itx board thru serial maybe, and attach it to the motors. Maybe hook up a webcam to the mini-itx board, and put a wireless pc card on the board and write some software to control the robot over the peer-to-peer network?

Does that make sense to anyone?

If not, anyone know of any good websites where I might find some info on how to take a remote controlled car and hack it into a robot, so I could add sensors and enchance it?

Thanks!

Wow! That is a big project you are detailing there..
It would be a good idea to start with that platform, but making use of their drive electronics might be a bit much. Having a scope and some patience, you might be able to come up with how the speeds are controlled.

It is simple to come out and say all the things you proposed, but if you get into more detail you will see the underlying complexity of the whole thing. Let me know how it works out!

Steve

So it's hard to use their drive controller? If that's the case, then I would need to hook up my mini-itx board to the motors?

I'm new to robotics... that was just my idea :)

It all depends on what you want to accomplish.. If you want to use computer control over a network, then you can do this many ways.. You can make your own link and taylor it to the circuitry integrated in the car, or you can design your own interface to run the motors.

Alternatively, you can use some digital potentiometers in place of your controller's mechanical potentiometers and use their interface. If you want a quality transmitter that you can add other controls to, using your own link is recommended. Usually when people use ready-made platforms they are just wanting to save time making the structure and etc., rather then replacing the electronics completely.

As I said, you could study the PCB and the signals going to the board and make some cuts in the board and replace the signals with your own. I would probably just make my own interface since it isn't too complex.

Steve

Scubasteve said:
It all depends on what you want to accomplish.. If you want to use computer control over a network, then you can do this many ways.. You can make your own link and taylor it to the circuitry integrated in the car, or you can design your own interface to run the motors.

Alternatively, you can use some digital potentiometers in place of your controller's mechanical potentiometers and use their interface. If you want a quality transmitter that you can add other controls to, using your own link is recommended. Usually when people use ready-made platforms they are just wanting to save time making the structure and etc., rather then replacing the electronics completely.

As I said, you could study the PCB and the signals going to the board and make some cuts in the board and replace the signals with your own. I would probably just make my own interface since it isn't too complex.

Steve

Sounds a little complex to me :cry:

maybe we can help you solve the mistery of the pcb, if you can post a picture with it from top to bottom....but try to make them clear....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back