Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay control problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonM

Hi,

I am working on a projet that uses latching relays. They latch when you put a polarity or the oposite (set = +/- reset = -/+). The problem I have is that I cannot find a way to control the relay I.E control the ground and +5v of the relay.

Is there a way to assign a I.O to ground and switch it back to +5v or something similar?

Simon

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly.

One of the most basic things a microcontroller can do is set an I/O pin to Vdd or ground.

This is exactly what I need to do actualy. I am confident that you can swap it at any time when you want? I must say that I am new to the uc design and principles. Do you have a quick example of how it works?

For the H Bridge, it is a good idea and I was thinking about it, however it introduce more hardware and it is something that I want to reduce.

Thank you both for the quick response. I truly appreciate it.

Simon

What current does the relay require to latch the relay? If it is low enough you should be able to drive it directly from a PIC.

Use an NPN transistor with a back emf diode.
Put a 1k or 2k / 2.2k resistor in series with the base of the transistor and the PIC IO pin.

Thanks for all the answers and discussion about this.

THe current I draw is about 0.020 a per Relay when I toggle them. I use single coil latching device and they are not ''pulse toogle''. I must invert the polarity.
I know that dual coil are easier to drive, but I need to keep the number of input low to reduce the number of hardware on the board.

For now, I think that the only possible solution is to use a H-Bridge. I have depleted other type of solution since I got 16 relays to activate. Using a H-bridge will allow me to drive them all (actualy I divide them in two packs of 8).

Thanks for the help :)

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back