Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Related to EMI/EMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

radhikapatil

How to start designing EMI/EMC circuit containing only Relays, Limit Swithes & Motor?
What are the factors I need to consider while designing EMI circuit?:)

Last edited:
No body has replied to you because your question does not make sense.

EMI = Electro Magnetic Interference
EMC = Electro Magnetic Compatibliity

But, what is an EMI/EMC circuit?

JimB

I think for better understanding of my question I have to provide schematic.
Now I have decided to use X2Y Filter capacitor at power leads of BLDC motor.
But I am not getting how to select capacitor value for my application as we are following RTCA/DO160 standards.

Looking forward for your valuable reply:)

Thanks.
Radhika

Attachments

• SCHEMATIC.doc
    79 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Can anybody please help me into this matter?(EMI Filter Design for DC Motor as per DO160C standars):eek:

* Emission of Radio Frequency Energy - sec 21.2 cat Z(RTCA/DO160 Rev C)

Is anybody having DO160E Rev C standards document?

Last edited:
Generally EMI filters consist of a series of Pi LC filters plus a common-mode choke. The particular design component value depends upon the suppression you need (as defined in the DO160C standards) and how much noise the motor generates. You need to measure or calculate the motor noise before you know how much suppression is required. If you Google "EMI filters" you'll get many examples of such filters.

I'm not familiar with the standard you mention, but I'm somewhat familiar with FCC Part 15 rules.
Let me briefly recap the process:

You need to find a compliance laboratory. The laboratory will have the proper documentation for the standard you are looking to meet. The laboratory will also have some sort of traceability certificate on their very expensive lab equipment. The lab itself will have huge faraday chambers and anechoic chambers, and a whole array of antennas, to detect close field and far field radiation, conducted emmisions, etc.
The lab will also have several highly qualified engineers, with certification in compliance testing.

The point I'm attempting to drive across is that EMI compliance testing is an expensive and high level affair. It is not something that is as simple as selecting a component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back