Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regenerating lower AC sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchouli

Is there ever a need to fully regenerate a lower AC sine? And if so how?

Using a trigger and a triac, zero crossing switching or not, to chop the AC up and "reduce" the voltage works for light dimmers and motor controllers. But is there a way to emulate a variac using chips? To get around the problems with phase (or burst) control?

From a DC circuit's perspective (not a motor or lamp) is having voltage only half the time the same as having constant swing that only goes half as far?

When I make a DC circuit to run off mains it gets a full bridge and filter cap(s) at least. Maybe a regulator. Either way Vdc will be lower if I reduce the Vac coming out of the transformer. (unless the AC was so over-spec that the regulator can still get enough V to regulate.)

Imagine something with 3 types. A lighted digital hairdryer. So chopped the heater core would run cooler, the fan would run with less RPMs, and the light would be dimmer. But would the auto-cutoff timer run longer, being supplied with the same voltage but just chopped for duration? Or if the temp was sampled from a thermocouple and a uC, would the heater core actually run at the same temperature as non-chopped?

Not that I want to see if televisions smoke when you drive them with 55Vac or anything. I just want to understand. I should probably investigate "true sine" country power adapters.

Any suggested reading? Thanks.

generating AC

If i remmeber correctly, DC-AC inverters work by feeding a low voltage, high current 60HZ sqaure or triangle wave into a big transformer, whose magnetic properties have the tendency to smooth the signal into a sine. Of course I could be completely wrong.

The real way to make AC is to get yourself a shovel, a giant turbine and then relocate to near a waterfall.

I was told by a friend who sells/services variable frequency AC drives that a crude sine wave is delivered to the motor after the input power has been converted to a crude DC. I'd contact manufacturer's to see what they would share with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back