Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regarding rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

manz

hi to all...

i`m just confused on how people get the rank under the name.
you know like Electronics Newbie,Novice,expert and so on.who will judge all of this? by what? amount of post or quality of the post?

dont missunderstood me, i am not crazy about the rank, but it just for me to know how it is given and gradded.

thanks.

manz said:
hi to all...

i`m just confused on how people get the rank under the name.
you know like Electronics Newbie,Novice,expert and so on.who will judge all of this? by what? amount of post or quality of the post?

dont missunderstood me, i am not crazy about the rank, but it just for me to know how it is given and gradded.

It's purely by number of posts, either questions or replies - where I'm an 'Electronics God' based on replies (and I think 3 or 4 questions?), others have made the rank by repeatedly asking the same question over and over again (we all know who it was!).

hmm it is like that. but number of question and replies wont show the level of electronics understanding/knowledge ones have. it should be the quality of the question and answer that ones gives that should be judge so that other people can evaluate/judge the answer given by hose people according to the rank.

i`m not trying to correct anything here but just state what i think about things.

Last edited:
Member List AWOL

Is the member list permanently gone from the button choices?
How can we find it now?

manz said:
hmm it is like that. but number of question and replies wont show the level of electronics understanding/knowledge ones have. it should be the quality of the question and answer that ones gives that should be judge so that other people can evaluate/judge the answer given by hose people according to the rank.

i`m not trying to correct anything here but just state what i think about things.
There is a 'rate thread' option.. the some more accurate was 'rate the poster'

rate tread ??

i just simply dont understand:) but its ok, i`m just asking bout it, i`ll just leave it to you guys then.

I think it would involve quite a lot of work for the moderators to go around rating people and giving them appropriate ranks, and then of course there'd be the upset caused by people who feel their actual knowledge far exceeds the rank they've been awarded and so on.

Personally, I think the ranking system on this website should stay as it is (based on number of posts), but the actual rank title should be relevant to how much someone contributes to the site. So a newcomer to the site with very little in terms of numbers of posts could be termed "newbie", or on the other end of the scale someone like Nigel with literally thousands of posts under his belt could be termed an "Elite Member". These types of ranks would give a good indication as to the contribution levels of a member, but would not give inaccurate Electronics knowledge titles.

Brian

Oh, I see that this forum already does that! Not only am I apparently an Electronics Expert (I have learned a lot about Electronics and have a broad knowledge but wouldn't say Im an expert), but I'm also a senior member.

Maybe we should just ditch the electronic title completely then? Mind you, since mine is probably overated perhaps I wouldn't want it to go! ;-)

Brian

The present ranking method is bogus

I have 27 years experience as a technician with an AS in Electronics, who has spent most of that time in proprietary embedded processors. Yet, I am immediately ranked as a 'Novice' in the microcontroller section when answering a question about the PIC? How's that again??!!

Yes, I don't think the moderators should spend their every waking moment scanning the threads and assigning ranking on their personal weighing methods. However, two methods come to mind that would help determine ranks more realistically:

1. Offer a questionnaire for the willing to fill out and use that to assign ranking, optionally in different categories (electronics, engineering, whatever...)
and/or 2. add a clickable box that allows people to rank a response in a thread. Perhaps some boxes going from 1 to 5, where 1 is tops. As members with good, concise answers get higher 'grades' with this system, their ranking actually takes on a realistic value based on peer review.

End Two Cents,
kenjj

Mine is definately overrated. The junior...senior member ranks are enough.

ThermalRunaway said:
I think it would involve quite a lot of work for the moderators to go around rating people and giving them appropriate ranks, and then of course there'd be the upset caused by people who feel their actual knowledge far exceeds the rank they've been awarded and so on.

No need, here's how I'd do it.

The only people with the power to rate others are moderators, administrators and people who already have a positive reputation. There should be a "rate member" button next to each post, if someone makes a good post and people rate it positively, they get a better rating and thus a higher rank, if someone is rude and annoying and people rate their post negitively they get a lower rank, and if negatively they're really bad they get labled as a troll.

KJenneJohn:

Your suggestion that people are invited to take part in a knowledge questionaire at registration time in order to determine their rank is quite a good idea, however I think the answers would be influenced by google and other search engines, which would then contribute to some inaccuracy. Also, a person's knowledge and experience is forever changing so the questionaire would only reflect their ability at the time of registration. By the way, I hope this doesn't make you feel bad but you have more experience than I have age!!! ;-)

Hero999:

That's quite a good suggestion, and infact I reckon that's probably the best compromise really. For the most part I think it would work, but you would get the odd weirdo (all forums have them) who'd get really upset if they got ranked badly for trolling, and would then take it upon themselves to derate other people's posts for no good reason. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad provided people were only able to see the results of their ratings, and not the people responsible for rating them.

Brian

Hero999:

I just re-read your post and I can see that you've also suggested that the only people able to rate others would be those who already have a good reputation. That pretty much rules out the possibility of the minority attempting to ruin things for everyone else doesn't it. Yeah, good idea I think.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back