Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding PICKit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmv

Just now I've completed building PIC Kit 2 clone from this site (**broken link removed**.)

I've got a problem. When I connected to my lap and opened PICKit2 software, a message is getting displayed (pickit 2 vdd and vpp voltage level errors. Check target and retry operation). Can anyone plz lemme knw how to fix it.. I've checked troubleshoot option. It says there is a short. But I checked with multimeter there are no shorts.. Plz help me.. It's a bit urgent.

Usually when I get that error I have something wired incorrectly. Usually it's power and gnd not wired correctly.

Are you powering the chip with your own power supply or off the USB bus?

I doubt you do but if you have a spare pickit2 and hook it up to your micro and it works fine at least now you know the issue is on the clone.

Hi,

Seems a well presented project, so would expect it to be good, did you use their PCB ?

As wuchy143 suggests ( long time since I was in Manchester NH), check for pcb shorts and also the orientation of the transistors, its easy to misread the layout and sometimes different manufacturers do use different pinouts, so do check the datasheet of the ones you bought.

Also measure the incoming usb voltage, better than +4.5v ?

Usually when I get that error I have something wired incorrectly. Usually it's power and gnd not wired correctly.

Are you powering the chip with your own power supply or off the USB bus?
I didn't connect any external power supply to the PICKit 2 Clone.. Just connected it to my laptop using USB wire and opened that software.. Didn't even connect any micro controller to it.. I'll check the connections once again..

Last edited:
Hi,

Seems a well presented project, so would expect it to be good, did you use their PCB ?

As wuchy143 suggests ( long time since I was in Manchester NH), check for pcb shorts and also the orientation of the transistors, its easy to misread the layout and sometimes different manufacturers do use different pinouts, so do check the datasheet of the ones you bought.

Yeah, I'm using their PCB..

Hi,

@ WP,

You've been in manchester NH??? Really?

@ VMV,

Couple questions:

1. When you fire up the GUI for pickit 2 do you have the actual pickit 2 programmer connected to your microcontroller? If so try powering up the GUI with the programmer connected to your PC but not connected to your micro. Do you get the same results?

2. I would double check the datasheet for your part and make sure all the lines go to the correct pin on the pickit programmer. Also, I would make sure there are no isolation resistors or anything that you could be missing which should be connected to the micro. Check every signal for continuity from end to end. 1 open and it clearly won't work.

Sometimes it can be a pain to get these things to program but enough digging and you'll find the answer.

Hope this helps.

@ WP,
You've been in manchester NH??? Really?

Yup, a good few years ago, was working in Nashua for a month and stayed at the Merrimack Hilton so got to know the staff quite well, was invited back to one of the waitresses home in Manchester for a day by the pool, still got her pic - what a babe !:D - those were the days !!:D

please check the connectivity of polarized capacitors and also check the tracks near to that even i had the same issue and then i fixed it...

i built another pickit2 clone its all Zif programming....... free from wires and breadboard....please check this

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Yup, a good few years ago, was working in Nashua for a month and stayed at the Merrimack Hilton so got to know the staff quite well, was invited back to one of the waitresses home in Manchester for a day by the pool, still got her pic - what a babe !:D - those were the days !!:D

Wow. Awesome. Let me guess you were at BAE systems in Nashua? Or some other tek company out there. There are a few. Gotta love when the geeks get the ladies. And babes ta boot! I'm living in downtown manch. 27 and single. Life is good :)

Hello there..
I unsoldered all the components and soldered them once again.. Now Vdd problem is gone and it says that there a problem with Vpp.. And also the inductor is getting heated a lot.. I replaced it with a new one.. There is no use.. It's becoming so hot.. I want to know if anyone has built it (**broken link removed**) successfully?

Last edited:
ok so it seems as though one of the transistors responsible for creating the negative voltage on Vpp is busted because I"m pretty sure to enter programming mode negative voltage is pulsed on the Vpp pin.(I'm not sure though anyone else know for sure??) Chances are they are bjt transistors. I don't know your experience but you can easily check this out on the PCB. You can do this a few ways. I bet there are NPN's and PNP's on that PCB. So, with your meter check the PN junctions(put on diode setting) to make sure they are conducting correctly. Or do the shotgun approach, replace all the transistors and hope it fixes your problem.

Out of curiosity what PIC micro are you using/trying to program?

yeah may have successfully built .....its a working model..
but mine is zif programming pickit2 clone so no need of extra wires and breadboard to mess with

The circuit you have used has some faults in the design. I redesigned it as follows:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The serial programmer is for a serial port. This is called a "no parts PIC programmer." and normally costs $5.00

It is not for a laptop computer

Ya, I knew it. I'll use my desktop. I want to know if this works properly or not..

If I go to any electronic institutes in my locality they're charging INR 1000 (22.28 USD) for just dumping the hex file into the micro.. So, I want to build a clone..

Last edited:
You can build it yourself in 5 minutes:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
<snip: spam links deleted>

Attachments

• icprog105c-a.zip
    552.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.