Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reflection Coefficient to Impedance transformation on the Smith Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuseless

A certain RF transistor has a source - reflection coefficient with a magnitude of .105 and a phase angle of 160°. When plotted on the Smith Chart, the normalized impedance is .825 +j .06 Ω. What is the actual or unnormalized impedance? What does it depend on? Is it 50(.825 +j .06 Ω) or 41 +j 3 Ω? Is the Smith Chart automatically normalized to 50 when dealing with RF transistor reflection coefficients that were derived from S - parameters and when determining the actual impedance the transistor wants to see?
Thanks...

A Smith Chart should have its normalized impedance pre-defined and it is usually found written somewhere on a printed chart, or stated clearly somewhere on a soft chart. The usual Z is 50 ohms. Yes, in your example, it is 41+j3 ohms. Smith Charts are not automatically normalized to any specific impedance, but 50 ohms is so commonly used that it can be your assumed default.

Hi RadioRon,
I hope this post gets out, I had trouble the other day trying to post on this forum. Anyway, thanks for answering my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back