Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reed switch in place of a hall sensorh

Status
Not open for further replies.

mer

Hello their im a newbie here and found this site by a google search in trying to find out if a reed switch will work as well as a hall sensor ,,what i have done is i bought a cdi unit for a small engine and a hall sensor for a pickup needless to say i can not get this sensor to talk to the cdi unit i've tryed everything the hall sensor is working that i know ..so i switched to a reed switch which works well by hand but i was wondering if it would work at high rpm ..say 3000-5000 rpm ...the signal to the cdi is very low voltage through the reed switch i just need to know if the reed can cycle as fast as a hall thanks for any insight mer....

Last edited:
Reed switches will not work at that RPM. They are mechanical and will not respond fast enough. Even at lower RPMs, they would have a very limited life.

Can you post a schematic of your hookup, with a part # for the Hall sensor?

Ken

reed switch

Dang it!!! I was afraid of that, thought it would work and my only problem would be what they call switch bounce,you must have tried it,because i have yet to find,the spec..on a reed switch that tells cycles per.sec on a reed switch,OH well it was a good thought for a moment anyway as far as a drawing i don't have one i bought the cdi on flea bay...correction i bought two,and bought a hall sensor new from HC HOBBY,one thing i did notice was to get a spark i had to jump the ground back to the signal wire on the cdi the hall sensor i had seemed to send a postive signal back which was backwards from what signal the cdi needed ...i tryed switching the wires around every-way possible and no spark so i guess they probaly make more than one kind of hall sensor ????? so do they make one that returns a GND signal and one that returns a positive signal??????you got me i do know the reed switch works good returning the GND signal on the cdi thanks ......mer

hall sensor

Reed switches will not work at that RPM. They are mechanical and will not respond fast enough. Even at lower RPMs, they would have a very limited life.

Can you post a schematic of your hookup, with a part # for the Hall sensor?

hello their thanks for the input wasn't the answer i was looking for though..the hall sensors i bought are both bought from a hobby store and the #'s on both sensors are (on the top A 04e ........ (on the bottom) 0805 270j the only diffrence between the two was the way they were wired one was black red white the other white red black ?????

if ya need a photo of the cdi and hall ill try and get some up i haven't posted pic on this site yet but ill give it a try....thanks again David king (Mer)

Hall sensors are active devices and require a power source...not just a magnet.
Did you get any data with the Hall sensors when you bought them? I don't see any Hall sensors Google'ing HC Hobby.

Ken

hall sensor

Hall sensors are active devices and require a power source...not just a magnet.
Did you get any data with the Hall sensors when you bought them? I don't see any Hall sensors Google'ing HC Hobby.

Ken
...the actual site is hobby king just put in hall sensor under the search on the right hand side of the home page at the bottom their is only to kinds that they sell mine is part #014 www.hobbyking.com

Appears that you have register with them to get access. There is a search box in the "left" column that does nothing when you put in "hall sensor" and hit FIND. Is there any useful info there like designations for wires...output levels...?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back