Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Red/orange and blue piece in car charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

HR19

I have a car charger for my smartphone. It has a standard USB port and a USB-C one. It has Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. The USB-C port basically worked once, now it will not charge devices. Tried multiple cables and multiple devices, no luck. The standard USB port works perfectly. I opened it up and found 3 little things that almost look like fuses which are reddish orange and blue, one of which looks almost like it exploded (see photos). It also looks somewhat discolored. I won it in a giveaway online, and their warranty service said they can only replace it with copy of original receipt.

I tested all 3 for resistance and got about 9 ohms in the damaged-looking one, and no continuity on the other two. Any ideas what this is?

DSC_0001.JPG

They are zener diodes. I would guess that the black thing at the bottom is a fuse. Can you get a better picture of the bottom?

Mike.

Here's another one, best I can do I think. Looks to me just like a surface mount resistor, but I have little experience with these things.

EDIT: UPDATE: knowing now that they're diodes, I tested them again trying to swap leads, and there one in the middle right tested about 60 ohms, the other 2 tested about 7 ohms.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Note the designations above the four components in the bottom left corner - C17, C18, ZD1 & F1 - F1 would tend to indicate a fuse.

Mike.

Gotcha. I have continuity across F1, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. But I noticed that near the component with R047 on it, is a pin from a coil in the other side, and the solder from that pin is jumping to the R047 and to that tan component (capacitor?), Looks like C13 and R6. See attached photos.

Attachments

• 2018-10-07-22-59-13.jpg
    2018-10-07-22-59-13.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 2018-10-07-22-56-38.jpg
    2018-10-07-22-56-38.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back