Recycling components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubbsta

Hey all! Newbie here, as I’m setting up my lab I realized i may be able to get tons of spare parts from work (automotive technician). Is it worth saving old modules from work for teardown? I pulled this backup battery out of a brand new car i figured i should save, nothing wrong with the battery, just the module it powers needed replacement and came with a new one, in this instance the manufacturer requests us to dispose of the batteries. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

A re-chargeable battery sounds useful to me, you should keep it.

What you will use it for in the future? I don't know.
If you never use it, you can put it in the recycling bin in 5 or 10 years time, rather than tomorrow.

A quick word of caution, it is a lithium battery, be careful how you re-charge it.

JimB

A quick word of caution, it is a lithium battery, be careful how you re-charge it.

JimB
Thanks JimB! I’ll definitely exercise caution, I had a battery “blow up” on me when I was younger, one of those rechargeable vape batteries, went to go pull it off the charger and it started spitting fluid and sparks out, battery swelled up like a sausage. Scared the crap out of me

When starting (as amateur) I was avid and active in salvaging, desoldering LOTS of components for years. Most of them still with me but I think the time spent was a waste. Keep some boards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…