Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recycling components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubbsta

Hey all! Newbie here, as I’m setting up my lab I realized i may be able to get tons of spare parts from work (automotive technician). Is it worth saving old modules from work for teardown? I pulled this backup battery out of a brand new car i figured i should save, nothing wrong with the battery, just the module it powers needed replacement and came with a new one, in this instance the manufacturer requests us to dispose of the batteries. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
E74C3B7B-C5E3-4ACD-A782-B6E8DDD795D3.jpeg

3E1DEFC7-A9B9-4751-B767-D0A539205ACD.jpeg

A re-chargeable battery sounds useful to me, you should keep it.

What you will use it for in the future? I don't know.
If you never use it, you can put it in the recycling bin in 5 or 10 years time, rather than tomorrow.

A quick word of caution, it is a lithium battery, be careful how you re-charge it.

JimB

A quick word of caution, it is a lithium battery, be careful how you re-charge it.

JimB
Thanks JimB! I’ll definitely exercise caution, I had a battery “blow up” on me when I was younger, one of those rechargeable vape batteries, went to go pull it off the charger and it started spitting fluid and sparks out, battery swelled up like a sausage. Scared the crap out of me

When starting (as amateur) I was avid and active in salvaging, desoldering LOTS of components for years. Most of them still with me but I think the time spent was a waste. Keep some boards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back