Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recording audio of a telepone wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioAllStar

I need to record a certain upcoming telephone conversation and would like to have it record directly to my computer. I have all the nessecairy software to do so. What I need help with is the electrical aspect of the project. The only audio inputs I have on my computer (I don't know the size of the jacks) are the standard Microphone and Line In jacks located on most motherboards. To build this device, can I just hook the two audio wire on a telephone to whatever size jack is needed or do I have to build a circuit for this?

Suction cup microphone is all you need, it will plug directley into your sound card, Microphone input...'Nuf Said. :)

Attachments

• 2060_195.jpg
    2060_195.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 471
You need to isolate the phone line from the PC input.

I did it by using an audio transformer (1 : 1) in series with a 1 uF 100 Volt polyester capacitor.

You shoulkd be able to recover a suitable transformer (and possibly a capacitor) from an old telephone answering machine.

Len

I know I'm just a n00b here,..but why does it have too be that complicated?
If you have windows media player, you should be able to record with a microphone. You can buy a suction cup mic from Radio Shack!..It will stick
too the phone reciever, It will plug into the mic port on your computer,.. start recording....Oh If your phone reciever is textured, use a piece of clear tape then the suction mic will stick. :D

Edit: A friend of mine has already done this, so I know its that simple. ;p

Attachments

• 2060_675.jpg
    2060_675.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 418
The PC case (and all common GND inside) connected to neutral wire (earth). Grounding any wire of the phone line not allowed, and give extremly high noise (hum) and/or make to busy the line (depending from which wire grounded, tip or ring...).
So, the isolation definitely need, use a circuit as ljcox suggested.

if your computer has a dialup modem then you should be able to plug it into the same line as the phone being used and there is software to detect when the phone is picked up to automatically record. check https://download.cnet.com for software for that its that simple and if you do it right they wont even know your doing it.
Thats the simplest way I think. And less noticeable.

The use of a microphone is certainly simple, but the voice quality may not be ideal. Also, the mic may pick up background noise.

Len

magickaldan said:
if your computer has a dialup modem then you should be able to plug it into the same line as the phone being used and there is software to detect when the phone is picked up to automatically record. check https://download.cnet.com for software for that its that simple and if you do it right they wont even know your doing it.
Thats the simplest way I think. And less noticeable.

That only works if u have an analog phone line. If you do u can easily find software via google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back