Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommended PIC development board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,

I started off my project with PICKIT3, PIC18F4520 and I2C GLCD.

At the first stage, my project involves
PC <--UART--> PIC <--I2C--> GLCD

I started seeing that it involves many HW (adding MAXIM232 + peripherals + Serial Connectors for example), while I'd mainly like to focus on SW.

Therefore I thought I'd rather work with PIC DEV Board which will include the Maxim232 and the RS232 connectors (and peripherals).

Could you recommend on such PIC Dev board please?
Which I'll be able to burn using the Pickit3 I have.

Thanks a lot.

I have not bothered with MAX323 chips for a while now.. I just buy these https://proto-pic.co.uk/ftdi-basic-breakout-5v-new/

It makes connection to a PC so easy... I know its a lot dearer, but the cost is minimal for the time taken... + one USB lead and you're away..

The explorer board is favorite.. **broken link removed**

There is also Olimex.. https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Development/

If you need to just connect a USB module and a I2C screen, you can just plonk it in stripboard... The pic18f4520 has an internal Xtal so parts will be minimum..

Hi Ian,
Thanks a lot!

the FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V is something I can afford.

Is it burnt and debugged via pickit3?

Or does it have its own programmer and debugger built in?

You will still need to connect the 5 programming pins.

The breakout board is just a USB -> PC serial link ( instead of using the MAX232 )

Small devboard.png

Easily done on stripboard

Thanks Ian!

I'm actually looking to use one of Microchip's DEV boards.

Could you please recommend on Microchip DEV board?

Is there any advantage to using a ready made development board over just sticking what you need in a breadboard?
Aaron

This is how I do it. Has ICSP without loosing pins (i.e. switch). Lots of room for other components. Once you build it it's good forever. Aaron

Attachments

• My board.jpg
    My board.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 209
Ian,
Thank you very much mate :)
I'll keep looking there for microchips DEV Boards which I can burn via my pickit3, and that has Serial Port RS232 (including MAXIM232).

https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Proto/PIC-USB-4550/ £16.95
You just need to connect I2C....
There are others... https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Proto/
If you want one for a lot of jobs, You need the picdem2.... I use the Explorer16 as I do 24's and 32's

Aron,
Wow, man that is awesome.
Too messy for me to deal with :)
What's the CD for?

What's the CD for?

I think what you're seeing is just a round piece of aluminum that was laying around that I used as the mount for the 2 switches (also a LED so I don't forget to turn off the power when I leave).

Too messy for me to deal with

Hey! One mans mess is another mans treasure.

Have fun! Aaron

PC <--UART--> PIC <--I2C--> GLCD
Could you recommend on such PIC Dev board please?
Which I'll be able to burn using the Pickit3 I have .

take a peek at this Microstick :)
**broken link removed**

It could be what you need , It can be used with few different uC.

I did not used it tho so i don't know what kind of debugger is on it and if you can used your pickit3 on it...

Im using some breadboard custom versions with my pk3 :) but I might buy this Microstick !

I've enjoyed reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post.

Probably not so relevant to the OP any more, but certainly to the thread. I was recently researching PIC development boards for myself and have come up with a bit of a list of boards I like that and thought I'd share. I should say though, I much prefer the PIC24 / PIC32 devices as I find them more powerful and arguably easily to develop for. So the list is kind of dominated by boards that support / use these processors.

Advanced Boards - $$$$$
MikroElektronika Boards EasyPIC Pro v7
QL200 dev board

Mid Range Boards - $$$
picoTRONICS24 PIC Development Board
**broken link removed**

Cheap Boards - $
ProtoPIC28
PIC24 Development Board PCB

Bargain
DIY - grab a chip and just go with it! Of course not as good convenient as an off the shelf development board

Hope my research is able to help someone choose a new development board they like.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back