Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading/Writing to SD card using Petit FatFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouadalnoor

Hello guys,

I am currently trying to read/write to my sd card using the Petit FatFs System found here:

I am using MPLAB with a PIC18F14K50 to talk to the 8GB MicroSD card using SPI.

I am using the sample code for the pic24 that is given at the bottom of the Petit FatFs website (found under "Resources" on the website ). From what I understand I don't really need to change anything other than the platform dependent macros in the code.

That means, I only need to edit the files: pff.h and and diskio.c to fit my pic18.
Having done that, I still can't write anything to the SD card! :(

The program seems to be stuck somewhere inside the "disk_initialize" function. I dont use UART and since I am using a PIC18F14K50 I can't debug it using the MPLAB debugger. I have been trying to debug it visually, by turning on an LED on my low pin count development board after a function executes (it enters an infinate while loop).

Can you guys see anything wrong in the code that I have written, because at this point I am out of ideas!

The PIC24 Sample code is attached and my code is attached as well.

Hope you can help!

Attachments

• pic24 sample code.zip
    43.5 KB · Views: 349
  • My Code.zip
    118.4 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Ok, so I have now tried to debug the code and found out that in the disk_initilize function, the program is stuck inside xmit_spi (inside the while loop). This can be found inside diskio.c

It seems like the buffer Full "BF" bit inside SSPSTAT is always 0 and hence the program never exits...

Any idea's how to fix this?

Remember the SD is 3 volts so the SDI into the micro may not be high enough.... Can you put a scope on and check the levels....ALSO... You need a GOOD decoupling cap on the SD card connections.

I used to use a 0.1uf right across the Vcc and ground pins..

SD cards can be a bit noisy..

Remember the SD is 3 volts so the SDI into the micro may not be high enough.... Can you put a scope on and check the levels....ALSO... You need a GOOD decoupling cap on the SD card connections.

I used to use a 0.1uf right across the Vcc and ground pins..

SD cards can be a bit noisy..

Thanks for the response, I will be checking that now. But did you see anything obviusly wrong with my code?

Quite difficult to follow... I came to the same conclusion that you did that the only place it can hang is the two "while()" statements in the SPI read / write routines...

BUT!!! if you can get your head round the SPI transmission... you'll stand a good chance..

I believe that some SD cards are a bit finicky ... some work whereas others don't...

Quite difficult to follow... I came to the same conclusion that you did that the only place it can hang is the two "while()" statements in the SPI read / write routines...

BUT!!! if you can get your head round the SPI transmission... you'll stand a good chance..

I believe that some SD cards are a bit finicky ... some work whereas others don't...

I see, but if you notice, the spi ports arent even initilized at this point.... The program goes,

main->disk_initilize -> disk_writep(0,0)-> then goes to the point that says "Finalize sector write process" xmit_spi(0) -> then get's stuck at while(!SSPSTATbits.BF) ;

The SPI ports would be initilized after executing disk_writep(0,0); (where it says init_spi(); )

I dont get why the buffer would even work when the SPI ports are not initialized...

I think its more of a coding problem then a hardware problem though..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back