Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading Fuse ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotrek

I have a fuse how can I tell if it's fast blow, standard or delay?

F6.3AL250V

I gather

F = Fuse - *EDIT* F is for Fast Blow as per a search on this forum (always search I was going by the old military fuse id)
6.3A=6.3 Amps
L=No clue
250V=250 volts.

This is a glass tube style fuse.

Last edited:
Part two question Can I replace it with a 6amp fuse? or 6.5 amp fuse which would be better the local electronics store does not carry 6.3 amps and I don't have time to mail order.

Here is a link with some relavant information.
**broken link removed**

It seems to be a normal general fuse. Well of course, a 6A would be safer than a 6.5A, but I doubt 200mA would make too much of a difference. I would go with the 6A and then if it blows really soon, then you know to go with the 6.5A

Thank-You so much this is the info I was looking for.

Thanks again.

6A are easier to find then 6.5 anyways so I'll try with that.

Perhaps you might all like to fill your locations in?, so we might have a clue where you are?. (I'm presuming the USA?)

As far as I'm aware a 6.3A fuse is a standard value, 6A and 6.5A aren't!.

Will do :) the forum software is different from when I was last here.

The only 6.3 amp fuses I managed to find were the larger 7x32mm type and are all slow blow.

I'm in canada. 6amp is all I could find at the local circuit city adn the specialized electronics store.

I just purchased a 7x32mm 6 amp fast acting fuse instead of 6.3 amp fast acting 5x20mm fuse I have. will see how it goes.

Gotrek said:
Will do :) the forum software is different from when I was last here.

The only 6.3 amp fuses I managed to find were the larger 7x32mm type and are all slow blow.

I'm in canada. 6amp is all I could find at the local circuit city adn the specialized electronics store.

I just purchased a 7x32mm 6 amp fast acting fuse instead of 6.3 amp fast acting 5x20mm fuse I have. will see how it goes.

What's it in?, 6.3A is a standard value in 20mm fuses, and even in the old 1.25 inch fuses as well - perhaps North America is different?.

I would assume so I do not know I do know 1 1/4" fuses tend to be more common.

5x20mm are mini fuses and are usually for special applications

I truly do not know.

with most of our electroncs made abroad you'd think it would be the same as asia :)

Gotrek said:
I would assume so I do not know I do know 1 1/4" fuses tend to be more common.

5x20mm are mini fuses and are usually for special applications

That's probably mainly North America?, almost all the electronics I see uses 20mm fuses, and has done for decades - I even stopped stocking 1-1/4 inch fuses at work probably 30 years ago?. Probably the last place to use them was car radios?, but they still changed years ago as well.

I've always used the small ones as well but first time I needed one with these specs and couldn't find a small one (5 amp is the biggest)

I believe cars are the reason they are still around alot of older cars used 1 1/4" tubes. they didn't switch to blade style fuses until the mid 70's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back