Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

re: search coil calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonz

Hi:
I have done a calculation but it seems really high.

I have a 5000 turn search coil - area 3.6 cm^2 - which is used to measure flux density between poles of horeshoe magnet. Flux density is 0.80T, and the coil is pulled out of the field in 0.24s.

I calculated the e.m.f. at:

5000 x 0.80T / 0.24s = 16666.667 V

Can someone help me to understand what I have done wrong please?
thanks

Have a look at Faraday's Law

You don't seem to have included the coil area in your calc.

Hi:
I have done a calculation but it seems really high.

I have a 5000 turn search coil - area 3.6 cm^2 - which is used to measure flux density between poles of horeshoe magnet. Flux density is 0.80T, and the coil is pulled out of the field in 0.24s.

I calculated the e.m.f. at:

5000 x 0.80T / 0.24s = 16666.667 V

Can someone help me to understand what I have done wrong please?
thanks

You have considered the flux density rather that the change in flux with respect to time which is what dΦ/dt is in the equation emf=-N*dΦ/dt.

The flux density needs to be multiplied by the area over which you are concerned. The area will be changing as you pull the coil out, so you need to work out the rate of change of flux based on this. After 0.24s the area will be zero as the coil will have been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back