Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rat-Zapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cat's cant speak but millions & millions of em have owners worldwide who can.... you you.... Elmer Fudge NUT. laugh, chortle.?

Last edited by a moderator:
xl5 said:
Cat's cant speak but millions & millions of em have owners worldwide who can.... you you.... Elmer Fudge NUT. laugh, chortle.?
Don't hurt the F--- cat's ELMER.

Chill, it was a joke. My neighbor has eleven cat, who knows how many strays he's feeding. Never a good idea to piss off your next door neighbor. He didn't say anything about the ultrasonic experiments, little concerned about the automatic airsoft turret, not to thrill with my new Lab puppy. There are limits, no harm thinking it, but wouldn't actually harm any of his cats.

Anyway, packed up today, got some rain, expect more. Just finished putting a low lux B/W camera in a case, also put 36 IR LEDs in as well. Ran a cable, just taking a quick break before mounting the camera. Should be able to see if there is still some rat activity.

Well, the Rat-Cam was a success, unfortunately the rat is alive and well. Did go out of its way to avoid the area I previously had wired up, so guessing it received some negative-reinforcement. Have to figure out a better way to string the stainless wire, so I can move it more easily. Not too many options safe for the dog. Guess it's time for the ignition coil. Least I'll be able turn it off and on from inside the house.

Elmer,
Suspect you are no joker! and as you have suggested you would like to kill vermin electronically your aside's about a pet that is loved (cat) by a lot of human beings is noted not by me alone.

You talk as if you are on a local forum instead your thought's are going worldwide

xl5 said:
Elmer,
Suspect you are no joker! and as you have suggested you would like to kill vermin electronically your aside's about a pet that is loved (cat) by a lot of human beings is noted not by me alone.

You talk as if you are on a local forum instead your thought's are going worldwide

Gotta side with Harvey on this. I'm a card-carrying cat lover (I like most animals) and I had no trouble seeing that he was not being serious.

I think you're going a little over the top.

Torben

Rat's and mice tend to lay down a scent trail. They will travel the same path normally. This may be an aid to what ever you attempt next. But what ever you do try to catch it on tape. Maybe just a live trap would be ok! Then have it humanly disposed of.

Harvey,

Ignore the "can't read between the lines people" and give us an update. This is better than any soap. Will Ratty live or die, I gotta know!

Mike.

Pommie said:
This is better than any soap. Will Ratty live or die, I gotta know!

Mike.
The soaps are all the same. Ratty will mate and produce hundreds of little ratties.

Wow... Where to start. Think there is more then one, could only see shadows outside the camera's focus. Either one very active rat, or several. need a better mount, the one I'm using was for a cheaper (well cost more, quality...) camera. The CS mount lens is fine for close up, just found a better one to swap, and cover more area. Still can't find my tripod, maybe my brother borrowed, never used it much since I went digital.

The rat avoids the zapper. Really need to go solar, a 'C' size battery only lasts for two nights. Should put the zapper in a waterproof box, but kind of need to upgrade, definitely not doing any good.

I like all animals, but they need to stay where they belong. The problem with the neighbor, and his cats, is over population. I live in town, and his property is good for maybe 4-5 cats. He keeps 2-3 times that many (takes in any strays), and they spill over, mostly using my property as a toilet or breeding ground. Hard to tell the difference between fighting and mating... Personally, I prefer a Siamese, the females are better pets, but expensive to get fixed, which is must (real pain when the go into heat). Really hadn't meant to stir up so much trouble, been posting my various schemes and circuits for dealing with my neighbors cats for the past couple of years.

Wild rats, yes I think they need to die. They are use to the city life, and catching them live, and releasing them on somebody else isn't right. They will do costly damage to a home. They breed very quickly. Pretty sure, mine came from the construction on the property other side of the cat guy's. It's a torn up mess in progress for almost 4 years now, and they just start working on it again about two weeks ago (same as the start of my problems).

Going to get some spring traps and poison packs this weekend for indoors, and away from anywhere the dog can get to. Just to make sure they stay outside, if it going to be an invasion.

Still want to build a better zapper, but I need something I can move around easier. Instead of wire, I'm going to try a platform with bait (hot lunch).

Pommie said:
Harvey,

Ignore the "can't read between the lines people" and give us an update. This is better than any soap. Will Ratty live or die, I gotta know!

Mike.

He'll die but they'll bring him back in a later episode, claiming it was all a dream.

Torben

What about using a microwave oven transformer current limited with a halogen heater on the primary?

That should kill the rat pretty effectively.

Why disassemble a working microwave??

A microwave with a spring on the door that is activated by a pressure pad inside, where theres lots of yummy rat food. Set on High for about 5 Mins.

I haven't seen any sign of rats past couple of nights. Hopefully, it's over, but going to put that little zapper on a solar charger. Found out that the caps retain their charge pretty good for a day or so, got an excellent pop when I discharged them this morning to take it inside. I found it was already switched off, must have forgot to turn it back on yesterday.
Dog found the remains of a dead rat in front of the apartments next door. Little to far gone to determine the cause, but seemed about the same size as the one I was seeing. Don't think I had anything to do with it, unless the electro-shock therapy messed him up. It's been deed a few couple days at least, I just set the traps and poison packs yesterday.

Didn't find a CS mount lens with a wide view (probably why I got them so cheap), so swapped the rat cam out with a different camera. After it got dark out, remembered why I took that one down and it's been sitting in a drawer for a couple of years... Not very good at night, and the 6 built in IR LEDs don't help. Spent the evening assembling another 36 LED illuminater. Have to find a case and build a cable so camera and light can share the same power (easier then running another line).

Have to go back and measure the current draw on the camera flash, but think it starts at about 700 mA, and drops down to 25 mA just before it flashes. The flash boards use 1.5 volt batteries, higher voltage (3v) tends to fry something, transistor (unmarked) maybe. I want to replace the battery with a solar panel. The caps hold their charge well, so a day in the sun to charge will be fine, the neon light prevents over charging and explosion (Hmmm.... could be amusing). Bummer is, my smallest solar cells are around 2v/30ma, which I'm going to try to day, maybe 4 or 6 in parallel. It would be much nicer if I knew how to convert voltage to current. I have a bunch of 6v/70 ma panels. Probably simpler to just pull the inverter transformer and build my own charger circuit from scratch. Just not sure if the tiny transformer could handle 6v.

Ratty met his demise now you can't be blamed for it. But to bad we didn't have any video of the deterrent in action.

killivolt said:
Ratty met his demise now you can't be blamed for it. But to bad we didn't have any video of the deterrent in action.

No way of telling if it had anything to do with mine. Could have gotten into some poison somebody set out. I'll live in the 'downtown' area, probably not the only one spotting a rat. Definitely relieved, but looking to make sure my house remains rat-free. This was the first threat in 15 years living in this house, guess there isn't an easy entrance, but have been leaving the backdoor open for my dog. Only getting up to the 80's so far this year, will be keeping it closed when it starts getting hot outside.

Solar panels seem to be a bust, couldn't get the oscillator to start, so no charging. Have to do some searching and see what people are using for their coil guns, tazers, and stunguns I've seen disposiable camera guts used for. Not sure why I can't just drop this, since there is no longer a need. Guess it's got a huge gadget factor. Pretty much just set it in the sun, and it's self maintaining, no batteries to replace.

You don't know if it had friends better safe than sorry.

How can Torben say what side he leans to. Can he read between the lines, better to read over the whole script rather than making inane comment in defence of a stranger from a distance (Internet)

Myself have seen no tongue in cheek insincerity from our Harvey in the post's on this topic!!.

I personaally love pussy's. But let's get back to the topic of ******* cats and their protection from the minority.

Like Harvey said? He likes all animals and i agree!. Vermin need to be eradicated.

Harvey likes the idea of using Electronics to achieve this... so do i but the mention concerning ******* cats (see recent post's) made me decide to get my tuppence worth... defence of these animals.

Again in defence of Harvey momentarilly... he discharges the HV caps before letting his pup out to **** Mmm.

NB: Lest we forget.

Torben said:
He'll die but they'll bring him back in a later episode, claiming it was all a dream.

Torben

Your probably correct this time.? But as far as the cat is concerned he/she will have to be shown on prime TV in at least :...{NINE EPISODES} Not including the repeats/

XL5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back