Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ranking in the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChArLyZzZ

hey guys, I've been wondering on what basis the registered users are ranked in this forum (Electronics God, newbie,expert,...)??

Yeah, that means an electronics god like me might not be that much of a god afterall, just a spammer :lol:

(oops i did it again :twisted: )

:D that was Electronics Good
well, i guess if a beginner started with this forum and posted replies as u did, he will be an Electronics Expert at the end
But i hate this Newbie thing cause i dont have time to post a lot :) I should live with that

Just stick around long enugh.

I also toght i will never make that much posts but i did over the time.

The best is to let users pick the right one for themselves.

I would certainly pick "newbie" myself. Trust me, I know.

CharlyZzZ: You're from Lebanon eh? One of my work colleagues is originally from that neck of the woods (he now lives over here in the UK). He's a nice guy. According to him, the women in Lebanon are very VERY pretty - is that true? :)

Regarding the Newbie thing, the ranking is awarded by post count and nothing else. I think it'd be better if the ranking were awarded according to actual Electronics related skill, but admittedly it'd be pretty hard to accomplish that in a fair manner. You could do it manually, but then you'd have to have a moderator constantly monitoring all the posts and making up his own (preffereably unbiased) mind as to Electronics skill. This has a few distinct disadvantages. Firstly it'd take a lot of time and effort to award status in this manner, and secondly it could end up causing disagreement between posters. "Why is he ranked higher than me" and "I think she should be lower than I am", that sort of thing.
Another way it could be done is on a qualification basis. If the online profile were to include a qualifications box users could input their academic qualifications and, according to certain rules, points would be awarded for specific qualifications gained. Based on this, you could then award a ranking. Trouble is you're then ignoring pure hobbyists who have little qualifications but are nonetheless extremely experienced and knowledgeable within the Electronics field. I suppose you could base the ranking on number of years experience within the Electronics field. I'd put 8 years down for mine. I've been interested in Electronics since I was a child, but I've only been working in the Electronics field for 8 years so really I've only that amount of experience.

In the end it's probably fairer to forget the idea of ranking altogether and just have one based on post count, which is how the forum currently does it.

Brian

ThermalRunaway: Eh i'm from Lebanon:) Land of the Very Very pretty woman:) Seriously, it's da best country in the world cause u could find everything opposite: war & peace, garbage & cedars, sea & snow :)
I guess newbie is the best rank 4 everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back