Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdag

the radio in my car has a problem with the display,sometimes it works, sometimes it is dim, sometimes no display at all, i read this is a common problem in ford explorer radios. I also read this problem can be repaired without replacing any parts but my son lost my info. before I could read the whole repair process on how to repair this problem. I was reading something about soldering, can you give me any info. on the completion of this repair. thanks for your time[/b]

tdag said:
the radio in my car has a problem with the display,sometimes it works, sometimes it is dim, sometimes no display at all, i read this is a common problem in ford explorer radios. I also read this problem can be repaired without replacing any parts but my son lost my info. before I could read the whole repair process on how to repair this problem. I was reading something about soldering, can you give me any info. on the completion of this repair. thanks for your time[/b]

I'd say it's most probably just dry joints, probably on the display it self. You 'just' need to find the dry joints and resolder them.

Re:2 radio

Nigel Goodwin said:
tdag said:

I'd say it's most probably just dry joints, probably on the display it self. You 'just' need to find the dry joints and resolder them.
what do you mean dry points and what should i look for thanks again

Re:2 radio

tdag said:
what do you mean dry points and what should i look for thanks again[/quote]

A 'dry joint' is a failed soldered connection, you can sometimes spot them visually (usually by a ring in the solder). If you don't even know what one is, perhaps you had better leave well alone?.

Actually, this is the first time I've ever hear the term "dry joint" myself. Like (U.K. > U.S.) bonnet = hood, boot = trunk, lorry = truck, petrol = gasoline, this must be dry joint = cold solder joint. So, if dtag is a Yank like me, he may have been wondering about that one. At first, I was thinking you were talking about the elastomer strips that connect the LCD to the electronics ....

Dean

Dean Huster said:
this must be dry joint = cold solder joint.

Good point :lol: Seeing as he didn't fill his location in (why don't people do that?), we don't know where he is.

As they always say 'two nations separated by a common language'.

BTW - why use eleven letters?, when we use only three :lol:

Hmmm. Interesting. Actually in this country we use trunk, truck, bonnet, gasoline, dry joint, cold solder joint and even bad solder joint.

Our electric company distributess British voltages at US frequency.

Our Amateur Radio Exams are based on British regulations but we operate under Region 2 conditions!!
Trini

Trini said:
Hmmm. Interesting. Actually in this country we use trunk, truck, bonnet, gasoline, dry joint, cold solder joint and even bad solder joint.

Our electric company distributess British voltages at US frequency.

Our Amateur Radio Exams are based on British regulations but we operate under Region 2 conditions!!
Trini

So, you're at home where ever you go!

Or, are you totally confused where ever you go :lol:

tdag said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back