Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

nev

hello, new member so i'll start with a simple question. is there a circuit i can buy to boost the signal of a small pocket radio. i work in a building where the signal disappears and i cant hear anything and i was wondering if i could buy a circuit to attach to the pocket radio to boost signal. it works as i get closer to the doors or windows, it a little bit annoying! i would be very grateful for any ideas and in the process help make my monotonous job a little bit more interesting, thanks,p

The only real sollution a larger antenna. Unless you want to bind yourself to a 3 foot piece of metal you're pretty much stuck with the reception you're getting. A higher quality pocket radio may have a better tuneing ability.

yea thanks i had feared i would have to do something like that because a mini system on ac does work. i suppose i'll just have to be content with whatever everyone else is listening to , thanks scead

I work out at a gym that is essentially a metal building. Over the years we've figured out which of the radios work better - and everyone seems to stick to those. The various Sony armband radios seem to perform the best - in a less than ideal situation. Less expensive radios peform poorly it seems.

I wonder why cheap junk performs poorly? Maybe it is the cheapness?

I think it may be more because of the junkness audioguru.

If cheap radios work well as Costly ones- the industries will colse down--mostly the coils and IF tranformers are responsible , i believe. In fact once a designis set and frozen, a radio need not perform poor juast because it is cheap--

Here too if the coil Q is improved and the tuning mechanism is replaced by electronic tuning, the item mayperform and last longer and

as cheapness can be by volume production. Casio watches are examples where the plastic studs holding straps break of but watch module performs well

Finally it is business gimmik -

Last edited:
IMO, most little (even cheap) radios actually perform better than they sound. They hang on those Cracker Jack speakers almost as an afterthought. Try using ear buds or a good head-set, if you can get by with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back