Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio Shack Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero999:

Heh im sure by the time im able to start the business i can make money :D Also i will be selling custom products.

Like my IR Relay thing. There are a lot of normal people (non technical) who can not create this sort of thing and dont want to spend $30-$40 on one that has only 1 thing to control.

I can make a fiew and a custom remote with a few buttons and sell for the same price as those SINGE appliance items.

Ill be sure to have a few versions....

One for Lights (1A)
One for MidCurrent (5A)
One for HighCurrent(10A)

heh...

As you can see about 6 hours of sleep and im well. Im starving tho :D
Time for breakfast guys :)

I'm curious, do people here think that taking along circuits that you have built or showing potential employers internet posts that you have made would be a good thing in an interview of this kind. Jason has shown remarkable abilities in learning new stuff in the time he has posted here and that is one of the things you can't put on a resume.

I used to employ people and I would have looked favourably on people that showed initiative. However, is there the possibility that you could get tarred with the "knows too much to tow the line" brush.

Jason, I'm just asking because I'm curious. Feel free to ignore the replies.

Mike.

For this kind of work, they really don't want an expert. They want to be able to train you to do things their way. They don't want somebody that knows better, and going to try and teach the boss how to do things. Managers want to move up, not get passed up by a new employee. You are better off showing that you are familiar with electronics, of course cell phone features, some experience with retail sales and customer service. They want somebody they can tell how to do things, not have to follow around and correct (because you already know how it should be done).

If they know you only want to work until you find a better job, they'll likely pass (probably have a higher turn over rate anyway). If they really need to fill the position quick, they may still keep looking, knowing you'll need to be replaced. If they find someone more likely to stay, you are more likely to go. People get fired for stupid and unjust reason all the time, almost no one will waste the time and money fighting wrongful termination, for a job that did pay that well, and they hated anyway...

Just be enthusiastic about the business, show your people skills, but keep your knowledge to what's needed, don't show off. Try to focus on the knowledge and skills needed to do the job. Never correct the boss-man, but in an interview he might be testing you. Just think about what is common knowledge for the field, and what you had to dig for to learn.

I agree, no one likes a smart arse, just do what the boss tells you to and don't show off and you'll be fine.

Mike that makes sense and i am glad you asked that. I did that for a school...

Devry College

They loved me! I showed them what i can do. I brought them my Clock i made and they fell in love. They even told me RadioShack can help pay for my school if i work there. Thats the main reason i applied :D

if i can work there and get into school ill be in heaven because who doesnt want to learn and get paid being around things they like :D

HarveyH42 (Harvey is ok?):
Thanks for the info. Ill make sure to keep it low key and let them know i am familiar with a lot of electronics and stuff. They have this thing in most jobs like this its called UP SELLING or ADD ON Selling. Where i should recommend something else the customer should buy when buying something. For instance:

A customer comes in looking for a camera. Ill explain what i know about them and help him/her make a selection.

Thats the sale... now ill up sell and tell them they should also look into rechargeable batteries. And explain that benefits.

Then add on.. explain about memory cards...

There is a lot of things i can do. I just have to make sure i can let the boss man understand that i have the skills not only to explain the products but also recommend other products based on it.

My first fulltime job was at the shack, good luck.

Same here (well it was Tandy in the UK).

I was just into my teens and made the tea/coffee for the staff and helped out a bit with stock and soldering bits up for customers (although we weren't really allowed to).

My pay was a free Fish and Chip dinner and if they were having a really good day a fiver from all the staff for the tea.

I ended up working there full time for a number of years (mid 80's to mid 90's) and had a great time :)

i guess im a bit old-fashioned...I think that if you plugged a guy in the face hard enough to end up in court, I think you should be thrown in jail, or at least be thrown into a room with a guy like me who knows how to take care of himself in a fight.

Last edited:
Best Luck AtomSoft!

Think of this as a stepping stone; like so many others have advised, just listen and learn all you can. I do think Radio Shack is getting a real bargain if they hire you!

i guess im a bit old-fashioned...I think that if you plugged a guy in the face hard enough to end up in court, I think you should be thrown in jail, or at least be thrown into a room with a guy like me who knows how to take care of himself in a fight.

It really depends on the circumstances, which we don't know - he could have been defending himself?.

As a black belt who's trained many other black belts, I know there's a LOT of people out there who are fully capable of defending themselves purely by reflex, it's what the training is all about - you repeat techniques over and over until they happen with no thought involved.

We don't train to 'gently restrain', it's a self defence art, we train to 'win', and win FAST, with the least amount of effort - breaking bones, necks, and striking at the various killing points are what the reflexes are aimed at.

Scary really!.

AtomSoft, Good luck.

And when someone comes in and wants money. Pick up the till and smash there heads.:p

No, seriously:) Let'em walk. A guy your size is a threat to them if their not bigger than you. You'll scare'em. So use humor.

Say: no problem Let me help you. I got it. I got it. Let me get the till open.

Then say: can you spare a couple of bucks. They don't pay me enough here.:p

kv

I wish people would read more carefully.

He didn't say he hit anyone, please re-read his post and you'll find he was talking about a hypothetical situation.

Last edited:
Mike that makes sense and i am glad you asked that. I did that for a school...

Devry College

They loved me! I showed them what i can do. I brought them my Clock i made and they fell in love. They even told me RadioShack can help pay for my school if i work there. Thats the main reason i applied :D

if i can work there and get into school ill be in heaven because who doesnt want to learn and get paid being around things they like :D

HarveyH42 (Harvey is ok?):
Thanks for the info. Ill make sure to keep it low key and let them know i am familiar with a lot of electronics and stuff. They have this thing in most jobs like this its called UP SELLING or ADD ON Selling. Where i should recommend something else the customer should buy when buying something. For instance:

A customer comes in looking for a camera. Ill explain what i know about them and help him/her make a selection.

Thats the sale... now ill up sell and tell them they should also look into rechargeable batteries. And explain that benefits.

Then add on.. explain about memory cards...

There is a lot of things i can do. I just have to make sure i can let the boss man understand that i have the skills not only to explain the products but also recommend other products based on it.

Many cell phones have cameras built in... :) Sorry, haven't been in Radio Shack in many years, last time they were really pushing phones. Not really a huge fan, as a kid it was either salvage parts, or Radio Shack, and the difference in quality was apparent.

Don't get me wrong, anything with a paycheck, is a good job. Employee benefits, even better. Didn't get the impression this is something you want as a career, and that's not good to let out in the interview. Hiring and training new employees costs money and time, which nobody likes to waste.

Thanks guys.... some responses:

bigkim100:
Im a heavy handed guy i hit hard trust me. If i punch you in the head and you didnt move i think i would knock you out no problem. Since im in NY if you get caught fighting you will have to go to court regardless. Since you have been processed by police and have a misdemeanor.

BeeBop: Thanks!

Nigel : You seem to be good at a lot of things :D I was thinking about taking up boxing. but never did.

killivolt: Funny!! lol good stuff.

if a guy comes in and tries to rob us UNARMED hes doomed.unless its in the policy not to stop him- but if hes robbing us and i have to defend myself then i feel sorry for him.

. If hes armed then he can have what ever he wants. Im not gonna die or get seriously hurt for a little bit money.

Its not like boxing where i can make millions or at least hundreds of thousands for a fight.

heh i never stated this was my career interest. I work now but not enough to enjoy the money. I want a steady check and Discount on electronics :D .

The Digital Camera was merely a example.

Nigel : You seem to be good at a lot of things :D I was thinking about taking up boxing. but never did.

if a guy comes in and tries to rob us UNARMED hes doomed.unless its in the policy not to stop him- but if hes robbing us and i have to defend myself then i feel sorry for him.

. If hes armed then he can have what ever he wants. Im not gonna die or get seriously hurt for a little bit money.

Its not like boxing where i can make millions or at least hundreds of thousands for a fight.

Some people are able to achieve a lot; while others take an entire lifetime to master one discipline. I think it has to do with spirit, focus interest, and perhaps intellect.

There is a use for studying boxing, but becoming a boxer seems a bit crude on its own (I loved Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kun Do" - use what is useful.) If you still have an interest look into anything which has a 'do' on the end of it. Do means 'way' and it is as much a philosophy as a means of defense. The Japanese martial arts tend toward linear, concise and practical, while the Chinese martial arts are usually more circular, based on the defenses of animals and insects and is, perhaps, more esoteric. (Kung Fu translates as 'hard work.')

If you have an attacker who knows what they are doing, they will conceal the weapon very well, and you possibly won't know they are armed until a bullet or knife pearces you. Best to just hand over the cash and let the insurance and police sort it out.

Last edited:
yeah.

The odds of someone being that wise in NY lol is funny. People who are that wise dont usually do wrong. Bad people tend to do bad things the wrong way.

AtomSoft said:

You never know.

Let me tell you a funny story.

Late one night family in from California and not normal to leave the car un-locked. My daughter comes in to tell me she looked out her window after hearing a sound.

Disbelieving my 9 yr old. I said go back to bed it was nothing, and rolled over.

She shook me again, but harder and said, no I seen him ! Now I'm awake. As I went downstairs she said behind me "he dropped something" Plus: I think he's breaking into the car. Expecting to confront someone I looked and no one was there. Sure enough he had been in my car and stolen the contents.

What she herd was a bar clamp, for wood. If anyone knows what I'm talking about. It's a piece of metal attached to 2 jaws that are used to clamp onto the wood. So, I picked this thing up with the intention of finding and cracking him in the skull.

I quickly grabbed my key's and began the "hunt" driving the streets within minutes the cops were everywhere. They found him huddled in some bush's Afterward they told me he dove into the bush's when he saw my car. Laughing they said Roses ha, ha.:p

When I went back home I saw my next door neighbor a parole officer. She began to described what was stolen then She say's but, they missed my 38.cal pistol under the seat. :eek:

So, I ask you. Had he taken the Gun. What were the chances of me cracking the guy in the head with the clamp, before he filled me with lead ? = 0%.

Always take them seriously. Always assume your opponent is "Ten Times" Stronger than they look. You never know when there "concealing" a weapon.

People who are scared will come in brandishing.

People who will blow you away. Will keep it under their clothing. Not to draw attention.

kv:)

... bar clamp, for wood. If anyone knows what I'm talking about. It's a piece of metal attached to 2 jaws that are used to clamp onto the wood. So, I picked this thing up with the intention of finding and cracking him in the skull.

So, I ask you. Had he taken the Gun. What were the chances of me cracking the guy in the head with the clamp, before he filled me with lead ? = 0%.

kv:)

Yep, never take a bar clamp to a gun fight.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back