Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

R2R Digital to Analouge converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

Hello mates,

just for fun i made a R2R DAC , it is working fine , but i want to generate beautiful sine wave,
i can not generate it with normal pulse funcion of LTC, what function should i give at input.

NOTE - everything at input is reversed at output because of inverting op-amp operation

Thankyou

Attachments

• DAC.asc
    2.9 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
but how cant i give random values at input using pulse function ?

but how cant i give random values at input using pulse function ?

Use a 4 bit counter circuit, clock it with a pulse.
On the output pins of the counter have weighted resistors in a OPA summing amp.

but counter counts in one direction only.
sine wave needs reverse counting also :?

but counter counts in one direction only.
sine wave needs reverse counting also :?

Look at this, add a filter.

[Extract from previously posted image]

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 509
  • SineGen1.asc
    5.1 KB · Views: 354
To get a reasonably low distortion sinewave you need many bits (likely 8 or more) of D/A conversion and a look-up table to generate the proper bit pattern that most closely approximates a sinewave.

To get a reasonably low distortion sinewave you need many bits (likely 8 or more) of D/A conversion and a look-up table to generate the proper bit pattern that most closely approximates a sinewave.

hi,
If a good quality LPF is used, a very good sine wave can be generated from a simple 6 stage Shift Register.
A 8 or more bits are not required for good sine wave generation.

This LTspice simulation was posted recently bt member 'atferrari'. https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/trying-to-improve-an-active-lpf.122554/

I have added a reference sine wave to the plot and superimposed it on the LPF output, IMO thats an excellent match.

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    42 KB · Views: 385
I should have added to my post that you need a look-up table and many bits if you want to generate a low-distortion sine-wave over a wide frequency range without a (tracking) filter.

A relatively simple tracking filter can be built for audio frequencies using a LMF100 switched cap filter IC.

May i ask what these 3 op-amps are doing in series here ?

here i built this , how do we select capacitors value in filters ?

Attachments

• DAC-sine.asc
    6.9 KB · Views: 279
here i built this , how do we select capacitors value in filters ?
hi,
I see that the CD4013 logic level is set for +5V, but you are using +9V on the transistor inverter.??

The +V supply for the OPA's in not going anywhere.????
The +5V V1 voltage source has no NET name attached.?

The weighting values of the Summing chain resistors is all wrong.!

EDIT:
Download this Free Filter designer.
https://www.ti.com/tool/filterpro

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
hello,
I corrected this , but why is weighted resistors are wrong , i learned them from my book !

Attachments

• DAC-sine.asc
    7 KB · Views: 303
hello,
I corrected this , but why is weighted resistors are wrong , i learned them from my book !

Look at this image of the stepped waveform at the input of U1 OPA, its no where like a sinewave.??
Look a the resistor values in the LPF image I posted earlier.

BTW: You still have a 9Volt input on a 5V powered 4013.!!

Attachments

• AAesp03.gif
    AAesp03.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 296
the value of resistance written in schematic is 3k29 what is this ?

Hi neptune,

You seem to be using an R2R resistor network for your analog level generation. If you intend to use a constant width pulse to clock your counters then you cant use an R2R network. An R2R network will give you a ramp, not a sine wave. If you want a sine wave you have to use a different network where the resistors are chosen to give different output voltages for each logic state.

Hi neptune,

You seem to be using an R2R resistor network for your analog level generation. If you intend to use a constant width pulse to clock your counters then you cant use an R2R network. An R2R network will give you a ramp, not a sine wave. If you want a sine wave you have to use a different network where the resistors are chosen to give different output voltages for each logic state.
oh ! So how does one choses resistance to generate sine wave ?

oh ! So how does one choses resistance to generate sine wave ?

Consider that you are trying to create a Sine wave using 6 steps,,,, each 6 steps Up creates a sine wave section from say +Vpeak to -Vpeak and and the next 6 step down say the -Vpeak upto +Vpeak etc.....................

So the weighting of the resistors is chosen to give a +peak to -peak approximation of a sine wave at the input of the 1st OPA

Look at the LPF link I posted for guidance.. clue,, think Sine wave tables.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back