Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quicky battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as i know:

NiMH :
-Greater power
-requires NiMH capable charger

NiCd :
-far less power
-Memory effect (needs to be discharged before charging)

The capacity of a NiMh is generally higher for the same cell size of a NiCad. NiCad's used to have a memory effect, but that was overcome with a different manufacturing process.
I have sucessfully charged many NiMh cells with a standard current limited charger, like used in many NiCad chargers. If the charge current is limited to .095C of the cells the cells will never overcharge, and the charger can be left on indefinately.

cheers guys, the charger I've now got had a couple of Ni-Cads with it, but they were crap - so I replaced them with some 1800mAh NiMH. I'm very impressed with them. They actually do last for ages. Shame I couldn't get any 2300mAh at the time...

Thanks again

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back