Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick Resistor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

marfire

I'm building a BLDC motor controller with a pair of smaller transistors feeding the P channel mosfet (per channel). The manual for the controller chip I'm using suggests placing a series gate resistor of 10 ohms between the smaller transistors and the power mosfet. The system voltage is 13 volts, and at 10 ohms this would be 16.9 watts, which means an expensive to-220 resistor with heat sink. However, is that much current actually going to be going through that resistor or can I use a lower wattage resistor since only enough power will be going through it to close the Mosfet?

For 50nS you will have the17 watts. The rest of the cycle there will be 0 watts. The duty cycle is unknown to me but probably <1%. That might be 0.17 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back