Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick question about mini oled displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReWallt

If I connect a mini oled display (the size of a coin) to a raspberry pi, can an OS like raspbian be displayed on it (the internet only displays pictures or small text, no raspbian). I know it can be done with TFT displays and the like, but I'm looking for a small screen for my project. I'm asking this before I buy the components, because buying it and then realizing it doesn't will be a waste of money.

thanks in advance

If I connect a mini oled display (the size of a coin) to a raspberry pi, can an OS like raspbian be displayed on it (the internet only displays pictures or small text, no raspbian). I know it can be done with TFT displays and the like, but I'm looking for a small screen for my project. I'm asking this before I buy the components, because buying it and then realizing it doesn't will be a waste of money.

thanks in advance

assuming it takes 8 pixels high by 5 pixels wide to display one character, you'll have to determine how much Information you need to run Raspian. I would have calulated it if you'd have shown the display. But a pioneer 1.3" display Has resolution of 128x128 pixels so that is about 25 characters wide by 16 rows of text.

assuming it takes 8 pixels high by 5 pixels wide to display one character, you'll have to determine how much Information you need to run Raspian. I would have calulated it if you'd have shown the display. But a pioneer 1.3" display Has resolution of 128x128 pixels so that is about 25 characters wide by 16 rows of text.

I presumed 128x64, which is the standard OLED size - there's also a slim version, 128x32.

I presumed 128x64, which is the standard OLED size - there's also a slim version, 128x32.

There is no standard anymore. Maybe in the DIY/eBay market but new size/pitch/aspect ratios are coming every week from the manufacturers.

- he's already mentioned it's tiny size - so regardless it's low resolution.
Define resolution, or, at least your definition of resolution.

I have a huge 65" HDTV with 1920x1080 pixels. The 1.3" display with 128 x 128 pixels is quite good resolution compared to that (by my definition).

And note - you get RGB.and 128pixels.in each color. So I think you are confused with LCD displays as the 128x64 Bei g some type of standard. On the search of digikey for coin-sized (30mm x30mm or less) RGB OLED displays, not a single one shows up as 64x128 pixels.

Have you nothing better to do than argue for no reason?, you're not helping the OP in any way with such pointless posts.

And of course I wasn't thinking of LCD, the 128x64 is the standard cheap OLED display size:

The other is 128x32:

There's little else available, at sensible prices.

I want to thank you guys for your help and reply's, after searching through the internet I decided to start of a little simpler on this project.

You can IF someone has written a driver for it, or you write it yourself, however the resolution is probably too low to be of very much use.

I looked on the internet for this for days, but couldn't find a right driver for it. I'm very interested to make a my own driver though, but I have no exeperience with it (only following youtube tutorials on how to make a clock with arduino). Could u perhaps give me a link on or instructions on were to start with making a driver by yourself, I'm really interested in it.

Again, thank you

I want to thank you guys for your help and reply's, after searching through the internet I decided to start of a little simpler on this project.

I looked on the internet for this for days, but couldn't find a right driver for it. I'm very interested to make a my own driver though, but I have no exeperience with it (only following youtube tutorials on how to make a clock with arduino). Could u perhaps give me a link on or instructions on were to start with making a driver by yourself, I'm really interested in it.

Again, thank you

I've no idea what a driver looks like for Pi, the actual OLED part is well documented for the Arduino, and easily converted for use on a Pi.

There are examples of larger (but still small) touchscreen LCD panels for Pi, presumably they provide drivers?, you could perhaps get ideas from there.

Again, thank you

Nigel claims you are limited to buying one from eBay or ther DIY source.
he's using a DIY/Ebay
Too bad he has restricted you to that because some manufacturers offer a lot of support for single board computers like a Pi running a Linux build. The whole automotive 8ndustry is trending to Linux so more display support is coming.

Nigel claims you are limited to buying one from eBay or ther DIY source.

Too bad he has restricted you to that because some manufacturers offer a lot of support for single board computers like a Pi running a Linux build. The whole automotive 8ndustry is trending to Linux so more display support is coming.

I see you're been as helpful as usual?, if you've nothing to contribute why bother posting?.

Because posting and saying nothing s one step better than the mis-information that a certain moderator is posting - and he insists on posting over and over again. He even bothers posting about posts that have nothing to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back