Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudff7

I never get an SSD but I know a few things about it, Is it worth buying an SSD knowing that it uses flash memory and this type of memory has a limit cycle of erasing / writing being q after that it is unusable? HD does not have this limit

Yes, it's definitely worth using them.

I've just bought a spare one to replicate a drive which has important work on it.
A Samsung 1TB, which has a total write rating of at least 2700TB.

That does not mean it will suddenly fail, but it may start to develop bad clusters. All decent SSDs have a few percent excess capacity to start with, so any clusters with faulty memory locations can be mapped out.

They will not show any functional errors until that extra remap capacity is used, then bad clusters will start to appear.

The 2700TB value means you could rewrite the entire drive every day for over seven years... As the real average daily write total will likely be a fraction of that, the life expectancy is more like decades.

We average around two hard drive failures a year, between normal PCs and RAID storage.
So far, I have never experienced a failure in an SSD; I don't know exactly how old the earliest one is, but it's a 32GB with the operating system in an old dual-drive 10" Sony laptop that gets used regularly by one of the other guys here.

Mechanical hard drives are still economically the best [at this instant] for high capacity fixed storage, but using an SSD for the operating system in a machine gives a serious speed boost.

1) Does using an SSD for the system only prevent it from reducing write cycles?

2) I have a notebook HDD on my PC and in crystaldiskinfo it says that the status is yellow in alert reallocated sectors count: 192 would you recommend me to buy a smaller space SSD to use in conjunction with this HDD or discard the HDD and use only the SSD?

3) Which brands of SSD are good? on aliexpress it has the brands Goldenfir and KUNUP

Yes, only write cycles count against the total life expectancy.

It definitely appears you need a new drive!

I would only use one from one of the major, big-name and long established brands such as Corsair, Samsung, Kingston etc. - never one like you mention that I'd never heard of. An unknown brand is also unknown quality and may be complete waste of money.

And, trying to get any serious warranty support from Aliexpress is a waste of time and effort, from personal experience with other items.

Any claimed warranty is meaningless, unless you can be sure the supplier or company backing the warranty will still be in business for 3 - 5 years, until the warranty expires!

2) I have a notebook HDD on my PC and in crystaldiskinfo it says that the status is yellow in alert reallocated sectors count: 192 would you recommend me to buy a smaller space SSD to use in conjunction with this HDD or discard the HDD and use only the SSD?

3) Which brands of SSD are good? on aliexpress it has the brands Goldenfir and KUNUP

I have kingston A2000, get one for m2 slot. They are the fastest ones. (if you have one)

Don't overthink it - fit an SSD and you'll get an instant massive performance boost - all my computers run on SSD's now, I wouldn't use anything else.

I've always bought SanDisk one,s and have found them excellent.

fit an SSD and you'll get an instant massive performance boost
Is there a way to use the old hard drive as a mirror of what is happening on the SSD?
My back up is not good. It only backs up data and not programs. So a crash will trash windows and programs leaving me with a not working machine but if I had a exact copy on the old hard drive, a SSD crash would be OK.

Is there a way to use the old hard drive as a mirror of what is happening on the SSD?
My back up is not good. It only backs up data and not programs. So a crash will trash windows and programs leaving me with a not working machine but if I had a exact copy on the old hard drive, a SSD crash would be OK.

You could use the same software that you create the SSD copy of the HDD, to make an HDD copy of the SSD 'every now and again' if you wanted. I bought the SanDisk SSD conversion kit, because it comes with a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor (which I needed), a USB to SATA lead/converter, and the required software to clone the drive.

However, the point of backups is to save your irreplaceable data, not the programs which you can simply reinstall.

However, the point of backups is to save your irreplaceable data, not the programs which you can simply reinstall.
I have several old computers with pieces of Windows missing. Computers do not come with Windows CDs now. One computer has "reinstall" on D: but I can't get to it.
I have booted from a Ubuntu CDROM but the new versions will not fit on a single CD. It is hard when you are missing a sys file and have to spend hours retrieving it. Then it is uncomeatable because Windows updated and the back up did not. I am just unhappy with the windows that comes with a new computer but I don't see a way to reinstall windows with out paying for another copy.

I am just unhappy with the windows that comes with a new computer but I don't see a way to reinstall windows with out paying for another copy.
You can buy old Windows CDs cheaply on ebay - as long as you get the correct version to match the existing key, you can reinstall any one you want.

You can also download Win 7 / 8.1 / 10 images direct from Microsoft.

And, Win 7, XP, 2000 and older (plus Mac images and many others) are available from archiove.org

You can get W10 PRO for 2$ on ebay. You can still update from W7/W8 to W10 with W10 install, all you need is activated windows.
Activated!!! Activated!!!Activated!!!Activated!!!Activated!!!Activated!!!Activated!!!Activated!!!Activated!!!

I have several old computers with pieces of Windows missing. Computers do not come with Windows CDs now. One computer has "reinstall" on D: but I can't get to it.
I have booted from a Ubuntu CDROM but the new versions will not fit on a single CD. It is hard when you are missing a sys file and have to spend hours retrieving it. Then it is uncomeatable because Windows updated and the back up did not. I am just unhappy with the windows that comes with a new computer but I don't see a way to reinstall windows with out paying for another copy.

You make recovery disks when you first get the computer, often you are even prompted to do so - over and over again, until you do.

Usually there's a 'hidden' recovery partition on the HDD, I presume the recovery disks are just a copy of that?.

You make recovery disks when you first get the computer, often you are even prompted to do so - over and over again, until you do.

Usually there's a 'hidden' recovery partition on the HDD, I presume the recovery disks are just a copy of that?.

What about just try clean install of w10? Maybe it has asigned license to motherboard. If not you can use w10 unactivated. There will be just watermark and some visual limitation, that no one cares about it.

1) What are the tips for conserving an SSD? is it possible to preserve the writing cycle? today i still use 5400rpm laptop HDD on my desktop

2)Goldenfir SSD of Aliexpress is poor in durability? he is TLC nand and Controler: 2244/2246/2256/2258

Last edited:
1) What are the tips for conserving an SSD? is it possible to preserve the writing cycle? today i still use 5400rpm laptop HDD on my desktop

The sole recommendation I've read up to now, making some sense to me, was to identify the software that needs to do repetitive (frequent) writing of big chunks of data. Eventually you could set the specific directories to allocate them in the secondary disk (most probably a HHD unit as is the case in my both PCs).

Not sure if worth the worry; I would use my time to care about more important things.

1) What are the tips for conserving an SSD? is it possible to preserve the writing cycle?

As I said earlier, don't worry about it. You will almost certainly need to replace it due to size limitations before it has any functional problems.

Re. "off brand" ones, I would not risk using them at all - wait until you can afford a big-name one with a decent capacity, rather than risking your money and data.

For conservation of the write cycle in the SSD the best recommendation is to use it with an HDD? what size in GB on SSD do you recommend?

i have a 5400rpm notebook HDD using an SSD with it brings great performance increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back