Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about PIC16F628

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Hi,

Back to PIC, I've got some questions:

1- In the PIC name PIC16F628-20/P, what is 20/P stand for? Speed or memory?

2- Is it possible to run more than one Delay subroutine at the same time for different parts of the program?

3- Can i assign all the PIC16F628A pins as output ( except for VCC & Gnd )

4- In my programmer, the ICSP pins are marked with the pin names, do I have to connect them directly to the PIC pins ( If I want to do in circuit programming )

Thanks

20 = 20MHz
P = Plastic
I = Industrial

2. yes, you'll probably need timers / interrupts.

3. No MCLR (RA5) is input only, RA4 may be open collector output on some PICs

4. yes you connect directly to the PIC pins for ICP

Thanks for your fast reply, I'm using 16F628A can i ask for more:

blueroomelectronics said:
20 = 20MHz

Is this maximum i can drive it externally? because i knew that its internal Clock is 4MHz ( Thanks to N.Goodwin ) am i right ?

2. yes, you'll probably need timers / interrupts.

software or hardware ?

3. No MCLR (RA5) is input only, RA4 may be open collector output on some PICs

so maximum of 14 outputs can be used ?

4. yes you connect directly to the PIC pins for ICP

With the circuit supply ON?

20MHz is the maximum clock frequency for the 16F628A

Timers and interrupts are all built in peripherals. So you just program them to work the way you want them to. You can simulate timers & interrupts with the MPLAB simulator.

15.5 outputs, the open collector is still an output but it can only pull low.

It can have its own power or depending on the programmer the programmer may supply power.

whiz115 said:
about 5 MHz
Try it and see. It won't hurt anything. All that can go wrong is that it might not work. It will run a bit warmer and consume a little more current. Neither will likely be a problem.

EDIT: Just tried a 25MHz on my 16F877 with the GLCD. No go. Went back to the 20MHz and it's happy again. The 25 might need different caps or some small changes to the program. I didn't test, as I'm busy doing different things right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back